• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Discussions on cracking are not allowed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that pretty much sums it up, and Agent Steal aka justin petersen. good haxor if you hand him a book on how to do it. but a nark in the same. pure menace to the community but i do give him respect for finding SAS.

Re: My 2cp

Black Hawk said:
yes, hacking is bad, but what most people don't realize the majority of people that can be called hackers either OC, or really break in just to send notes about security holes. (the white hats.) It's just the media that makes them look bad. I say the media was a creation of the devil, along with the following:

AOL
Microsoft
Enron
Burger King
Compaq
Let me repeat aol one last time, because I think that AOL is the means in which satan plans to rule the world. (joking...)

Black Hawk
Newbie:burn:

did you forget WALMART? satan IS the ceo... blockbuster probably belongs on that list too... :D:beer:

UnseenMenace said:
I Once did a web chat after a documentary with the legandary John T Draper (AKA Captain Crunch) who was a old time hacker/phone phreaker who worked out that a plastic whistle from a pack of captain crunch cereal could be used to access phone systems many years ago.
When asked what his definition of a hacker was and he seemed to be of the opinion that a hacker is now a youth who downloads applications from the internet and attacks peoples systems with the belief that they have skill. The reason he was of this opinion was that the majority of these people he believed did not discover the flaw or write the application they are using to exploit a system and in fact the majority have limited understanding of what they are doing.. they are just following previous knowledge.
John Draper was of the opinion that true hackers have now obtained different titles to call themselves such as 'programmer' and 'system admin' it is these people who understand programming languages and protocols.. it is these people who helped build the internet.. and this is what a hacker once meant... now it means someone who helps bring the internet down.

Seems fair enough to me..

wow thats pretty cool, i did a report on that guy once... not because i admire somewhat immoral acts but because his story is just a great one. that would have been cool to be on a chat with him.

adding a little sumthin sumthin to the 'list' above

"The best hacker in the world is the one you've never heard of."

I think we as Hackers or Crackers will have to face a fact, and it is this.
The media (news, movies etc) has turned the phrase "a hacker" into a bad person who for his own malicious purposes takes information that he/she isn't entitled to (such as hacking a bank to steal money or Microsoft to steal there new OS) and it is for that reason the public who either don't want to know or just plain don't care see the phrase “a hacker” and see BAD computer type person.
If you look @ a movie called War Games a computer hacker nearly causes a nuclear war, BAD and that's going back a good few years

It really doesn't matter anymore weather you label people hackers or crackers when it comes to public perception as that perception is “blinkered” by media terms and it is those terms you are arguing against and for now they seem set in stone.

Ask you mum or a NON computer savvy person what a hacker is and they will tell you, and I bet a weeks wages its a bad thing NOT Acing the FSB on your mob to get a 2000XP to run like a 2400XP, it doesn't matter what the English Oxford Dictionary calls it, it is a persons view that counts, even if that view is short sighted and miss directed in its inception.

$0.02

I recomend reading the article "How to become a Hacker" You can find the most recent version here

The first paragraph has a good definition of hackers and crackers and the article has a good definition of the hacker mind set. The guy who wrote this has been around since near the begining and has seen the term hacker evolve into it's current definition today.

Its great reading all the opinions stated here. So, I'll throw mine in the mix. This conversation can get really deep if you let it. First of all how can something be considered good or evil in and of itself. Don't we use the ideas of society to make that call. Better yet, we use the ideas of the majority. I think that has been stated here, just not really straight forward. Mass media forms the opinions of society (read majority) into whatever it wants. Doesn't that make the media evil? Seems like brainwashing to me. So if mass media is evil, wouldn't someone who fights them be a hero? You can see where I'm going with this. But, everytime I get into conversations like this I can talk myself full circle, where I start believing what I said before was false. So in the end the world needs all types of people "good and evil" to keep the balance of things. Balance is the key to making everything work. Whoa, sorry about the philosophy. Its 4.45 in the morning. Peace.

P.S. Any of you ever read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Great book, touches on some of the ideas stated in this thread.

Since this turned into a debate, shouldnt we move it to debates and ccopy/paste the relevant sticky portion in this original forum.

;)

I think moving a post to a non-existant section of the forums might prove a little challenging for our mods :)

hey i think this thread talked about hacking/cracking more than any other thread! Nice job Newb DOO

Bmxpunk86pl said:
NO DAMNIT! A cracker is a person who cracks software and such. A hacker is a person who sneaks across networks, doin whatever they want without being cought. There are three types of hackers, blackhat, whitehat, and grayhat. Im sick of ppl sayin that hackers are good. The only reason ppl say this because some sites like hackers.com have a bunch of idiots who want the title of "a hacker" but are afraid of the concenqunces (spelling?) and therefore rewrite the defenition of a hacker. Trust me i know this stuff, i hav been cought before doing this stuff, i have seen a lot of ppl get of loose, etc. Most of my neighhbors are hackers/crackers.

learning about technology, programming, etc is not hacking!! thats just plain, smack across the face, learning!

You are correct in all aspects. :)

What is the title of this thread again?? :eek:

I think the label "hacker" is pretty lame. When I hear hacker, I think poser. If you are claiming you are a hacker, nope sorry you aren't. You wouldn't be saying that, if you truely are, b/c you wouldn't want to be caught.

Well a true hacker can also say he is a hacker and won't get caught because the fact that he/she is that good at it..just my thought's

Sophisticated said:
Well a true hacker can also say he is a hacker and won't get caught because the fact that he/she is that good at it..just my thought's

Except his IP is logged by this site and they have a written record of his claim. :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with the King?

also all you AOL haters.... Winamp is made by AOL/Timewarner (Nullsoft is owned by them)

tbones1337 said:
also all you AOL haters.... Winamp is made by AOL/Timewarner (Nullsoft is owned by them)
Right.....
Obviously, you use AOL (cough, cough) and you are attempting to defend it. For what reason I do not know. BTW, what does AOL have to with Winamp anyway? AOL is what it is. You should know, you use it. Winamp is NOT MADE by AOL/Timewarner, simply owned by them.
"Winamp.com is home to the beloved Winamp Media player. This powerful little toy was the brainchild of diabolical genius and self-made llama philanthropist Justin Frankel. Justin had but one goal in mind while coding the early versions of Winamp. He wanted to get laid. Once that goal was realized (thank goodness), Justin decided to give the player away so that the rest of us could find that ever-elusive thang known as amore. This was a daunting task and Justin was extremely lazy. He decided to bring new friends into the fold so that he could concentrate on his new preoccupation of staging revolutions in small third world countries. And so Nullsoft was born." - directly quoted from Winamp.com

Please don't misinform people of your opinion.
Here's a FACT: AOL sux :D

AOL sucks for people like me. But for newbies I'll bet its the best thing to have ever taken over their computer.

PS dont forget this is a sticky regarding cracking... although aol may fall under the same "vile and hated" category that crackers fall into, lets not forget that you can always create a new topic on this forum ;).

Humm saw this and thought it was about cracking... ie Cracking software.

My feelings that a hacker or a cracker can both be good. If you use your skills and knowledge for the right things, they are good. Nuclear bombs = bad. Engineers who developed the first ones went on to develope nuclear engery reactors to produce electricity = good.

They had the skills and knowlegde to build bombs, but they didn't.
Everything must be taken in context.

Back