• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

disk drive open itself

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spikes525

hi, first of all sorry for my english i'm gonna do my best.

i have an SSD samsung 240G, i only have game install on it and for an unknow reason it open by itself few time's a day's and also forced my PC out of sleep mode
i try Malaware byte and a few other software to look if i don't have malware or other kind of sh@#t. i only have legit software
it opens in a random way and no matter what I do

windows 10
asus p8z77-v
i-5 3570K
sli gtx 970
16G of ram

Thank's

Check the bios for a setting called "Wake-on-LAN."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

If this is enabled then activity over the network initiated by other devices can wake the computer.

If this is not the problem then I would still suspect malware, possibly a root kit virus. I would back up all data (pictures, documents, music, etc.) and reinstall Windows 10, including a wipe of the existing partitions. Since the computer already has Windows 10 installed on it you will not need to purchase a new Windows 10 product key. It will activate automatically. If you don't have install media you can create it on DVD or a flash drive using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

Before reinstalling Windows 10, make sure you disconnect the two 1TB hard drives from the system. Windows can get confused during the installation process if multiple drives are connected and put system files on multiple disks.

It's not WOL. I'm gonna try complete pass of anti virus, if it's not i think i'm gonna re-install win 10, but the sad thing it's i have a tons of Gig to re-download.
I have an heavy clean up to do 😞

You might also try the Avast (free version) boot time virus scanner first. Some viruses can hide from antivirus scanners when run while in Windows. Boot time scanners run at boot up before Windows is loaded.

Are you sure said SSD isn't reseting itself? Are there disconnection, connection sounds from speakers present?

Back