• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED dllhost com surrogate cpu/memory/network leak bug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
So this hasn't been an issue for me until lately. It's been a bug for several years and Microsoft doesn't seem to be working on it. They recommend to just turn off thumbnail preview. I happen to like thumbnail previews.

I have 8GB of RAM and it gets eaten up in just a few minutes after I kill the process in Task Manager. Windows Explorer starts it right back up and then the CPU/memory hogging continues on unabated.

Win7 x64. I recently reinstalled my Adobe CS2 suite and there were a lot of sound loop files I got from Adobe to use in Adobe Audition 2.0. I didn't even look at them but it seems Windows Explorer like to explore all your files to index.

Anyone have a more elegant or useful fix than Microsoft?

OK so I saw something about 3D video files causing corrupted thumbnail files and Windows creates a surrogate process to keep the system from crashing. Well it looks like the problem is with Windows, not the 3D video files. Once I deleted the cool Hubble video of an exploding supernova, the issue seems to have gone away. Grrrr :mad:

Back