• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DNS issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just want to double check that this is NOT a system that you/your friend do not have permissions to change settings on.

Assuming you are supposed to be tinkering:
Open up Control panel go to whichever adapter is active and manually set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 either as primary or as secondary.

Assuming that 192.168.1.1 is the valid DNS server, your system is either never talking to it (which is likely), or not getting a response from it. Try 8.8.8.8 and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, then try it as secondary and see.

Unless you manually add whatever the hostname and/or IP of all INTERNAL systems you need to connect to your Hosts, you may run into the opposite of your current issue. You can access the interwebs fine but local stuff is only by IP.

Ok Ipconfig shows:

IP Routing is disabled
Go to Start and search on cmd or command. Right click on either cmd or command then select Run as administrator. At the command prompt type regedit. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\Tcpip\Parameters\IPEnableRouter setting, right click and select Modify. Change 0 to 1 and exit the editor.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry
When your back at the command prompt type services.msc and navigate to the Routing and Remote Access service. Right click and select Properties. Change to Automatic and click on Start to start the service.

Netbios is disabled? Any specific reason why? Re-enable, reboot and test.

Try changing the hosts to the same as below, reboot and test.
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost

You arent opening port 80 at all.

I compared my computer's ipconfig /all to his and ip routing is disabled as well. Netbios is enabled on mine.
Like i mentioned earlier, the driver is completely missing.

mOgHo2E.png

Netbt is mission on his computer from the non plug and play list. Netbt.sys is present in the drivers folder. Also in services under tcp/ip netbios, there is nothing present in the dependencies tab on his computer.

Just want to double check that this is NOT a system that you/your friend do not have permissions to change settings on.

Assuming you are supposed to be tinkering:
Open up Control panel go to whichever adapter is active and manually set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 either as primary or as secondary.

Assuming that 192.168.1.1 is the valid DNS server, your system is either never talking to it (which is likely), or not getting a response from it. Try 8.8.8.8 and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, then try it as secondary and see.

Unless you manually add whatever the hostname and/or IP of all INTERNAL systems you need to connect to your Hosts, you may run into the opposite of your current issue. You can access the interwebs fine but local stuff is only by IP.

This is my friend's computer, he can do whatever he wants to it. One thing he doesn't want to do, is wipe it.

Nslookup works and it uses google's dns. The computer behaves the same way at his and my location.

Last edited:
No, regardless of using router's dns or google's, it behaves the same way. I changed the dns to manual when I started diagnosing the problem. Firefox works with host names and ips, IE only works with ip.

Back