• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do 3-pin fans run at full speed all the time ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I'll be getting a new Corsair Carbide Series 300R case. This has 120mm/140mm fans but they hook up to mobo with 3pin connectors.

So this is what I'm doing I will plug the 3-pin 120mm in the 4-pin CHA_FAN1 thats near it and the other 3-pin 140mm 3-pin CHA_FAN2. I have Asus P8P67 board by the way.

I like my pc tower quiet. So by default do you think both these fans will run 100% ? I thought I've read before that 3-pin fans is full speed all the time never controllable that it had to be a 4-pin to control speed. Can they be controlled in the bios ? thanks

If they are given 12v, then they will run at full speed, yes. The only way to make them run slower is to lower the voltage. Check to see how your motherboard controls the speed of the fans.

Can I reduce the voltage to these fans in the bios really ? I don't have the case now and I can't now check cause my current case the fans are connected directly to the psu. Do you really think it's possible are they usually given 12v ? thanks

If the motherboard has the physical capability to do it, then yes. This isn't a software feature.

You can read the manual online I'm sure. Take a look.

The mobo has fan control software. Mobo fan headers can be tricky hwo they work. The CPU header you can usually control fan speed, but it depends on the mobo and sftware for the other headers.

Kinda up to you. Take a seat and dig into your mobo manual I guess, read up on the mobo forums.

I use a fan controller for all fans but the CPU fan myself.

Lets say I don't like the fans cause they are to loud for example. I have the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler for cpu the unit came with two 120mm fans I'm only using one of the fans. Corsair 300R is a nice case but the fans they use are not the same quality as the Noctua fans. I have not tested this but I bet the Noctua fans are more quiet, do you think ? Are most fans of the same size totally interchangable like the screw holes are the same size and pin connector ? Would it be recommended do this ? I mean maybe the Corsair fans are designed for the case and not the Noctua fan the fan fins could be diff 0_o.

The connector should be exactly the same unless they are being used for a specialty application (server, video cards, or embedded devices are good examples) and the fan holes should be in the same spot if it is the same size fan (120mm vs 120mm).

I have no idea on how they compare to other fans. I don't (and probably will not) own them.

Well a case fan is a c case fan. A better case fan is always better. Some cases have poor hole patterns that could cause noise turbulence with some fans and they always restrict airflow.

Best bet is choose a good quality CFM fan with good pressure to push through the case holes.

Haven't payed a lot of attention to fans, I just use an old Yate Loon I have laying around or my stock of GT AP-15 fans. Can never go wrong with them.

I know Noctua fans are great, most of them, top fan company. Not sure about yours.

I'll be getting a new Corsair Carbide Series 300R case. This has 120mm/140mm fans but they hook up to mobo with 3pin connectors.

So this is what I'm doing I will plug the 3-pin 120mm in the 4-pin CHA_FAN1 thats near it and the other 3-pin 140mm 3-pin CHA_FAN2. I have Asus P8P67 board by the way.

I like my pc tower quiet. So by default do you think both these fans will run 100% ? I thought I've read before that 3-pin fans is full speed all the time never controllable that it had to be a 4-pin to control speed. Can they be controlled in the bios ? thanks

The 4pin CHA_FAN1 is a PWM controller.. it might or might not be able to do voltage control also on these same pins. If it cannot, then any 3-pin fan you plug onto that will run full tilt... unless you get PWM fans.

the CHA_FAN2 is 3-pin, so it does Voltage control only.

There should be some profile settings possible in the BIOS : something like LEVEL_1, LEVEL_2 etc or Automatic which might be linked to a temp sensor.
Read the manual.. and experiment :)

If the mobo can't quiet the fans to your liking and you don't care to have them spin up as temps increase you can hard-wire them to 7v or 5v very easily straight off a molex on the PSU.

Back