• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Any Charities and/or Institutions Take Unused Computer Hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

Since I tinker a lot with my computer, I have a closet full of computer hardware I previously used but now not likely to use again. It is all in good condition, reasonably current, and includes everything from Intel CPUs, Corsair/Lian-Li cases, video cards, CPU AIO water cooler, CPU air cooler, fans, DDR4 & 3 memory, mobos, SSDs, HDDs, etc. It is taking up needed space and it is impossible to get myself to trash it. I also do not want to sell any of it as I am sure I cannot get enough for this stuff to make the effort worthwhile. However, I do want to give it away but only to some sort of charity or institution that could put it to good use. Anyone with any ideas? BTW, not to disappoint anyone, I do not consider an individual capable of buying needed hardware a charity or worthy institution.

I provide tech support several non profits, charities in my community and my input would be they would likely be interested in complete systems but not random parts. My suggestion would be to assemble some boxes from the parts and make some calls to local charities and see if they have any need for more workstations. The biggest question mark would be with regard to the expense of putting an OS on the systems.

Thanks trents. I came to the same conclusion but thought I would ask anyway and not make that a self fulfilled prophecy. I have no problem giving the stuff away locally, even to individuals I know, but just don't have it in me to trash working equipment (until, at least, it is so old it is effectively true trash). Maybe I am selfish but I have no desire to box it up and ship it for the inconsequential amount anyone would pay for it. Guess my garage just going to get more crowded and I absorb more brain damage from my wife. If the charities in your community you support do need any of this stuff, tell me what you can use and I will just send it to you.

Thanks. I understand where you are coming from. I'm out of room for old computers and other old tech junk in my shop. I have a computer repair business and get a lot of older stuff given to me when I build a new system for someone or they buy one from another source and have me set it up.

One other option is local schools. Mentioned this in another thread in a different sub-forum, in high school I was in an after school club that essentially "refurbished" old PCs. Cleaned them up, got them working, all that. Then turned around and donated them locally. Was a two-fold benefit, I learned a lot and it provided a lot of support to the locals.

Back