• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a higher wattage PSU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hc000

I currently have a Antec True Power 430w PSU, and I just bought a new WD 320GB HDD. Is my PSU enough for this system? The 3.3V and 5V combined is 272W. When I looked at Tom's hardware, it said each hdd uses 112W, thus my total system would be drawing close to 650W??

Amd Athlon XP 1800+ OC to 2400+ (1.6v)
Epos 8rda+
Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 + 3 80mm case fan
1x512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 C2
1xMaxtor 80GB
*Adding*1xWD320GB
1xMaxtor 60GB
1xMaxtor 250GB
1xMaxtor SATA/Ultra 150 PCI card
Lite-On 48x24x48x
NEC 1300A
GeForce 4 4200

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys, however I would like to know how much wattage each of my component is drawing, is there any site that tells you?

The only place I've found it is @Tom's and it says 112@ for HDD... I'm confused ?!?!

Which WD model is the drive? Often, the manufacturer will have the current draw stats on their detailed spec sheets.

Edit - the Caviar SE 320gb is specified at .5A for 12v and .6A for 5v read/write. That translates to 6 watts 12v and 3 watts 5v. True it'll use extra juice spinning up, but I doubt it'll need more than 25 watts total at any time. Idle power consumption is even less.

Specs here: http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=116&Language=en

Last edited:
If I remember right it is approx 25 watts per drive.
.By the account at toms hardware any one with 4 hard drives a powerfull chip and a new 6800 nvidia card would need an 800 watt PSU.LMAO

Thanks guys! Its intresting that SATA uses more power then IDE, altho only 1 more watt...

Um... that link you listed... That was a psu stress tester i believe... It was trying to simulate 4 hard drives at 112 watts. IE 1 hd would be 28 watts which is about right

Hc000 said:
Amd Athlon XP 1800+ OC to 2400+ (1.6v)
Epos 8rda+
You'll have to forgive me if I am remebering this incorrectly, but I believe that the 8rda+ derives Vcore from the 5V line. This means that your TP430 is well suited to this application, as the 12V line is lightly loaded. You should be able to run that rig with as many drives as you can get in it with no sweat.

damn you larva, you are a walking library of information and you prove everyone wrong... you are lowering everyones self esteem and YOU are the sole reason for depression in this country. (Im kidding, but really.... you are)

Well, OKW was spot-on on this one. I was just giving more detail, and explaining why I think this particular TP430 could bear up under the 12V load it currently has, and any more that could be generated. The 5V line on this supply is capable, and it is doing the lion's share of the work.

Back