• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dealmaster

Hey guys,

It's been a while (probably 4 or 5 years) since I have bought a new PSU since my HX620 and I have gone through several upgrade iterations since I bought this thing. I have a feeling the answer is either "probably yes" or "absolutely" but I want to make sure that it still has enough guts to power the system I'm running. All the specifications are in my signature, in addition to that I'm running 5 140mm Fractal fans at 7v. Both hard drives are 7200rpm.

I'm not seeing any system instability, this is more of a preemptive question.

If my power supply is insufficient or you guys would advise an upgrade due to its age, do you guys know if this is a good unit? I couldn't find a review done by jonnyguru, and that's usually my go-to site for PSU reviews.

Thanks for your input and advice!

If you really want to know the health of your power supply you can get it tested. They will hook it up to a testing box and see anything wrong.

I've paid for this once at Fry's Electronics. They were able to tell that my power supply was bad, even though it ran my system well most of the time. After replacing it I stopped having graphic artifacts and occasional system crashes.

Supposedly there are test beds that will test the power supply under full load, but I've never found someone that does it here in LA.

Good power supply testing equipment is fairly expensive...you need a proper known load and a scope. Bobnova can probably shed more light on the subject than I can (he does all of OCFs PSU reviews).

Good power supply testing equipment is fairly expensive...you need a proper known load and a scope. Bobnova can probably shed more light on the subject than I can (he does all of OCFs PSU reviews).

About $3k if you don't want to build it yourself. That's for relatively entry level new hardware.

That PSU should be fine.

Back