• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i need to upgrade??? need to know today!! X5460 bottlenecking my gtx 770????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrome-187

so i can get a good deal on ebay on new items for a build quadruple ebay bucks...

i have the x5460 running @ 4.3 ghz on a evga 780i motherboard with ram @ 900mhz ddr2 800mhz. 5-5-5-10 with a evga GTX 770..

so i played battlefield 4 and could not max out the game on ultra when i should be able to with a gtx 770... oh well i thought cuz all i did was campaign...

BuT now I have titanfall and love the game and i can't max out titanfall either... i have to play on high settings turn off shadows, ragdolls, and impact marks to get smooth gameplay... when i was hoping i could play on insane or atlest "very high" smooth...

so i want to know if i upgraded to a gtx 4670k with a asus formula z87 or hero z87 if that would help out my gaming....my whole current build is in my signature... my new build would be the main parts

4670k or 4770k
asus z87 hero or fomula or maybe the msi gd65
8 or 16gb ddr3 ram
samsung evo 500gb SSD
my current psu
my current case
my current video card ( i have a gtx 780 now) have not installed yet

but this build is going to cost me near $1000... i'll do it if my cpu is bottlenecking my current gtx 770 or my 780 gtx i havent installed yet... would like to know today cuz i can save about $100 on the build...

What resolution are you gaming at? If 1080p or less, it will likely help a bit, sure.

As far as your upgrade, Id grab the GD65 for YOUR uses over the hero/formula (made for extreme overclocking)

I game @ 1920x 1080

you think the gd65 is a better overclocker? i'll def be overclocking... I am getting the glacer 240l water cooler from cooler master... either way...if I do get a new setup if my x5460 is bottle necking my gpu.. I def want the best overclocking mobo... formula/hero I heard are better than gd65..

if my x5460 cpu is running my games just as good as the a 4670k would at same speed than i'll prolly keep what i got... besides the water cooler and SSD..

For ambient overclocking, I would not choose those ASUS boards, especially the formula. They are 'made' for extreme overclocking in that the feature set and what you are paying for, you really wont be using. The hero, sure, but it will get you no farther than the GD65 will on ambient cooling... so why pay more? ;)

Heck a GD45 would be plenty...

Last edited:
i will be water cooling though.. my cpu for sure not sure about gpu....

I'm not going to do this upgrade on cpu and mobo and ram if my current components aren't bottlenecking me..

i actually just ordered a 500gb Samsung evo SSD and the cooler master 240L water cooling system...

those i can use with my current mobo, cpu, and ram...

i just need to know if its worth upgrading from my 4.3ghz x5460 quad core

Water = ambient cooling. The song remains the same.

The only thing I can point you to is Google to get the exact differences. It will not be night and day, but there are improvements to be had.

I actually do like the gd65 board better looks wise... but I did a google search on gd65 vs the hero and everyone recommends the hero over msi's poor qc control... basically they saying you have a good chance of getting a bad board from msi...

that's the boards it was initially between though was the asus hero or the msi gd65...

I want good features.. I want a good sound card etc and I think from what I was reading the asus hero is better... correct me if I'm wrong...

do I even need to do this upgrade though? or will I barely see any improvement in gaming... I don't care about anything else but the gaming aspect

I've said twice to take a look around the web as I do not know, exactly, what improvments you will see.

Good luck!

anyone else here able to help? I've excerted myself from googleing for hours... has anyone did a upgrade from a cpu like mine to a new 4670K? see a difference in gaming?

I'm sure someone will chime in... but its a forum, not an IM client, so be patient. :)

That said, try googling your non Xeon counterpart since review sites would be reviewing that. Being so 'old', you are likely to see Sandybridge comparisons (think 2600K) and haswell is around 10% faster than that. So I would google 2600K review, and check those out for CPU comparisons...

For example: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

Closest thing in there is the Q6600 (which your CPU is a bit faster than).

But like I said, google that or 3770K review and check out those if you want a 'percentage'. But it will really depend on the title as to how much improvement you will see. Truthfully, I think its time to most past something 4 generations old.

I'd like to see some gaming bencmarks... those aren't really benchmarks that I'm looking for... I'm talking about for gaming not passmark benchmarks that don't really do anything real world...

Like I said in post #10. Gaming reviews do not happen on your CPU as it is a server CPU. The best you are going to get really is what I linked already. Perhaps one with a Q9450 or something...

Like I said in post #10. Gaming reviews do not happen on your CPU as it is a server CPU. The best you are going to get really is what I linked already. Perhaps one with a Q9450 or something...

+1

Gaming benchmarks on Server hardware simply are not common, and probably don't happen at all by professional review sites.

At a best guess you're probably looking at something like a performance increase of 25-40% at stock settings, likely greater at overclocked speeds. This is just a guess though as there are NO existing gaming benchmark results for this CPU. In normal tasks based upon the benchmarks I've found, the 4670K offers nearly double the performance of the X5460 in most tasks though.

You can't even laugh at that, it's a complete slaughter.

Well.. I giggled.
Yeah, new tech just destroys LGA771. :D

Last edited:
Back