• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i want to ditch it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fx-53

right now im running an fx-53 on an asus sk8v with 512 corsair.......

my issue is this, i want to have some expandibility to play newer games, and the crappy old 9200 i settled for is going to have to go eventualy. Should i just by the biggest and baddest agp card i can, or should i look into setting up a new system with a pci-e capable board? im thinking i could sell my moboard/processor/ram for what about 4-500? that seems like what there going for on ebay right now(saw one the toher day go for that. I could even slap it in a case i suppose. Ram is another issue.....400$ for a gig kit i beleive.

So what do yall think. I hate to sell it as it was a graduation present......but i realy want to get back into computer gaming a bit(ive pretty well given up on xbox 360.......i know if i spend that much ill just get bored not being able to buy gmaes, and at least with a comp its still useful. Im interested to hear yalls opinions on what you would do(im thinking ill have a minimum of 4-500 after bday and christmas....turned 20 today btw.....to play wiht, plus whatever i could sell my current setup for.) That would leave me with nearly a thousand for a mobo processor and ram.....plus a new graphics card if possible.

BTW, im realy interested in sticking with amd.......not a big intel fan. I was looking at a cheaper processor(maybe a 4000+) and i know i could get one +moboard with xmas money..........so the main upgrade areas need to be there and the possibility of tacking on a graphics card. I would love some input on this

Thanks and Gig'em

Im not quite understanding what your asking. I'll try and answer anyway. If the choice is between upgrading and selling than building, I am in the exact same situation. I desperatly want to go dual core and get a 7800GTX (see my sig) but I have decided that I am just going to wait until I raise enoug money, then Ill have two computers to play with. If that isnt an option than i say sell and rebuild.

First reasonis building is fun :D, second is that PCI-E is where all the new cards are so if you want the best be there. Also I like seeing new things next to me, not the same computer for five months :p

i just want to decide between uprgrading what ive got or moving on wiht a new system..........

tough choice but the new system wiht more ipgradabiliy is starting to win me over

Fx-53 said:
right now im running an fx-53 on an asus sk8v with 512 corsair.......

my issue is this, i want to have some expandibility to play newer games, and the crappy old 9200 i settled for is going to have to go eventualy. Should i just by the biggest and baddest agp card i can, or should i look into setting up a new system with a pci-e capable board? im thinking i could sell my moboard/processor/ram for what about 4-500? that seems like what there going for on ebay right now(saw one the toher day go for that. I could even slap it in a case i suppose. Ram is another issue.....400$ for a gig kit i beleive.

So what do yall think. I hate to sell it as it was a graduation present......but i realy want to get back into computer gaming a bit(ive pretty well given up on xbox 360.......i know if i spend that much ill just get bored not being able to buy gmaes, and at least with a comp its still useful. Im interested to hear yalls opinions on what you would do(im thinking ill have a minimum of 4-500 after bday and christmas....turned 20 today btw.....to play wiht, plus whatever i could sell my current setup for.) That would leave me with nearly a thousand for a mobo processor and ram.....plus a new graphics card if possible.

BTW, im realy interested in sticking with amd.......not a big intel fan. I was looking at a cheaper processor(maybe a 4000+) and i know i could get one +moboard with xmas money..........so the main upgrade areas need to be there and the possibility of tacking on a graphics card. I would love some input on this

Thanks and Gig'em

im looking for a 939 socket processor...
how much will you sell your FX-53 for lol

That's really an odd system. FX-53 with a wicked cheap video card.

Anyways, Q1 they're expecting new hardware so I'd wait until Q2(when things get cheaper and higher models come out) to rebuild a system.

aao talk by PM or the thread might get closed. :)

its a 940 FX btw......I forgot to mention that originaly.

Anyway, yeah i know the graphics card is Schitte. I originaly had a 7500 running in it.......i just point blank ran out of money and have never upgraded...

well your gonna need new RAM, mobo, and CPU...I'd just get a 6800GT AGP...for 200 and save up cash for a newer upgrade. even with 1k to drop down your not gonna get much more performance than your setup with a 6800GT....Your gonna want to add another 512 stick....I can't believe it's really 400 for a 1gb kit....you sure on that? even for value stuff?

ok 300 excuse me.....

remember its got to be registered....

$35 for normal 512 value stick
$150 for registered 512 stick?

If that's the case, and considering your graphics, I would sell what you have and then try to build a 939 rig out of the money. Unless you can make do with what you have long enough to wait for M2 to come out.

M2? this must be somtething new i missed(been out of the tech loop a while)

Well its been changed to AM2 now, but it is then next CPU Socket by AMD. I guess it will be a 940 but with that name. More info in the CPU section.

Well I was stuck with AGP in the system in my sig. So... Friday night I bought mysely a Christmas present or two. My DFI SLI-DR and 7088GT are on the way!!!!! With my birthday in April Hopefully I can get the 2nd 7088GT.......

I would say sell what you got, I will be, and go new. If you can get 400 for your current set up(CPU/MOBO/RAM/Vid) then you should be able to get a 939 Opty setup for around $200 out of pocket if you go with a 6800 series VC.

Even though this would not be M2 compatabile, word is that AMD will not be abandoning the 939 platform for some time. You are still on a 940 so you do not upgrade often therefore it should not matter.

if there getting ready to come out with a new platform i think ill hold off a while....

Fx-53 said:
if there getting ready to come out with a new platform i think ill hold off a while....

If you use that line of thinking you will always be behind the curve. There is always something better "coming Out". Go woth what's current and try to minimize the upgrade impact. That is all you can do.....

Back