• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have 1 or more 7970's + Eyefinity? If so, i need your help... Please read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stewart@MSD

Hi guys,
Ok, This is the scenario... Please bear with me. :)

Since buying my 7970's I have been constantly testing and battling with OC settings, with my cards not liking to run over 1050 on the core regardless of voltage used. As soon as I try 1075 or above...BSOD 116.

Whilst i realise that on overclock is not guaranteed, I have discovered something interesting that proves in my case, its not just poor cards... read on. ;)

I have 3x 7970's now, and recently tried swapping cards around to see if it made any difference and made an interesting discovery...

No matter which card I use, the one connected to the 3 monitors is then limited to the 1050 core.
This led me to trying different overclocks on each card so they are no longer tied together and, low and behold, the other 2 GPU's will run much higher core clocks!!

So, I made an assumption that since the card running the 3 monitors is also the one getting the hottest, i would await until I got my new loop installed and expected that the lower temps would solve the problem. Sadly, I was wrong.

My max temps on GPU and VRM's are now 40C and still the same core limit of 1050 applies to any card running the three monitors. :(

So, my question, you guys out there running in eyefinity with 3 monitors, what OC's are you achieving?

Thanks in advance for any info your can offer.

P.S: I realise that my next task is to disconnect 2 monitors and set the software up so its running just the one.

Last edited:
Powertune is a program that is used by the 7000 series to limit your power consumption to 250W (for HD7970). It is quite well calibrated but if you want to overclock (and if your card has to deal with 3 display monitors), you may quickly reach this limit.
If the power consumption goes higher than 250 W (you can change the limit yourself), then powertune decrease the frequency of the GPU to come back to the limit value.

I guess you are reaching the limit with 1050 MHz GPU frequency ^^

You can google a little to know how to deal with this module, how to disable it or reconfigure.

Hope it is going to help you!

Powertune is a program that is used by the 7000 series to limit your power consumption to 250W (for HD7970). It is quite well calibrated but if you want to overclock (and if your card has to deal with 3 display monitors), you may quickly reach this limit.
If the power consumption goes higher than 250 W (you can change the limit yourself), then powertune decrease the frequency of the GPU to come back to the limit value.

I guess you are reaching the limit with 1050 MHz GPU frequency ^^

You can google a little to know how to deal with this module, how to disable it or reconfigure.

Hope it is going to help you!

Thanks,
Is that not what afterburner alters? As I have tried that for overclocking too, with core voltages up to 1.225 and +20... same drama.

Is it known to cause the BSOD 116 when it tries to do this?

Afterburner alters voltage, not power thresholds. In CCC there is a slider that lets you add/remove the limit.

As usual, Earthdog is faster than me ^^'

Afterburner is, like said, a tool to adjust your voltages, fan speed, frequency and so on....

It doesn't set any threshold (thx for the word ED, I was looking for it ;) ): you choose the values and that's it.

Powertune only alter your settings when you are going over the threshold, not if you are still under.

Try to overclock after having disabled it, or change it in the overdrive section of your drivers (by +- 20%)

Afterburner alters voltage, not power thresholds. In CCC there is a slider that lets you add/remove the limit.

As usual, Earthdog is faster than me ^^'

Afterburner is, like said, a tool to adjust your voltages, fan speed, frequency and so on....

It doesn't set any threshold (thx for the word ED, I was looking for it ;) ): you choose the values and that's it.

Powertune only alter your settings when you are going over the threshold, not if you are still under.

Try to overclock after having disabled it, or change it in the overdrive section of your drivers (by +- 20%)

Sorry guys, missed the "%" sign out of the quote below.

Thanks,
Is that not what afterburner alters? As I have tried that for overclocking too, with core voltages up to 1.225 and +20... same drama.

Yes, have tried that.
Incidentally, AB does have that feature, its on the first page of the options screen.

I have a 7970 and eyefinity and can go to 1100 with ccc slider at +20%...without sliding it higher I couldnt go over 1050 either

Back