• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have your monitor turn off automatically after a while ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Like me my computers never sleep. I do power them down though went they're not in use.

I have mine go into screen saver after ten minutes, then monitors shut off after twenty minutes.

I just manually put the PC to sleep when I leave the house if I have to go somewhere and know I'll be gone for an hour or more, so that I can save some on power usage. Just because I use my PC so often when I'm home that it gets very annoying having to wake it up all the time.

Yeah, I miss that 3D pipes one from XP.

I remember that Starfield one, haven't seen that in a long time, must have last been seen in Win 2K because it's not in XP. I actually have a rig with Win 98SE installed on it sitting up in the attic, haven't had that one running in a year or two.

I hope this isn't too far a diversion:

In the CRT days, I'd pass through offices in the early morning when the computers were still off, but you could see the menu's of the application most often used on the display as an image negative.

I had two SOYO LCD monitors I retired just last year which began exhibiting a similar burn in effect at the top where menu's are typically shown, but that was only visible when the monitors were in use, showing other images (diffferent from the menu often there). Those SOYO's were probably 7 years old (I can't be sure, they were used) - 4/3 aspect ratio.

Burn in is real on LCD panels, but they were older tech. It takes a long while.

Yet, I'm at my machine for way too long every day, so they're seldom off. Even if I'm not in the chair I'm probably running some task that I'll check on every now and then at odd intervals, so powering down doesn't happen often.

I'm not sure how resistant modern monitors are to burn in, and LED should outlast CCFL lighting (and their inverters).

Yet, I often do think to myself, "I keep this things on a awful lot of the time"...

Back