• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do You Hibernate or Shut Down your Laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you hibernate or shut down your laptop?

• Hibernate

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Shut down

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
This is one i've always wondered about. With Win7, i've seen some of my friend's computers have an uptime of 30 or more days since they hibernate the computer instead of shutting it down. Usually when i get a computer to work on, i set it to hibernate when the power button is pressed just because it's generally faster, and uses just as much power (none).

So, do you hibernate your laptop, or do you just shut it down?

Sometimes I shut it down, but most of the time I let it sleep and it auto hibernates when power gets low. Sometimes I deliberately hibernate it.

Plus, since I have my HDD encrypted incase of someone stealing it, hibernating it requires that the password be put in before it boots off the HDD, plus I have a power-on password for added level of security.

Last edited:
Made a poll of this question.

I shut it down for a fresh start next time I fire it up.
Plus I dual boot Linux/XP and you have to reboot anyway.

I usually set mine to hibernate. It makes it much faster for when I want to quickly check something, I dont have to go through the full boot up. The only issue, is sometimes my laptop doesnt like coming out of hibernation. About once every 10 or so boot ups, it will fail to finish loading and i have to manually reboot it.

Is this for Windows only?

I always use "suspend" (standby) on my laptop.

I shut mine down all the way each time.
The difference in boot time is like 10 seconds as this lappy is brand new and hasn't had a chance for windoze to clog it's own arteries yet....yet.

Since I killed and OCZ Agility after hibernating, I refuse to use hibernate anymore (with SSDs). Rather just have the laptop sleep or shut down (for long periods of time) since start up time is rather quick.

Although this is for laptops (which I hibernate), I use the mixed Sleep/Hibernate on my desktop. 6W while in that mode, and boots up fairly quick, though not as quick as my last board.

Tough one....I usually use sleep for when I go to work etc, but I find I use hibernate and shutdown equally. I always choose to shutdown if I'm going to move the laptop or if it's been up for about a week. I do find that sometimes using sleep or hibernate screws with BC2 (makes it stutter) and the only way to fix it is to reboot.

The laptop is an ASUS N61JQ-A1. I will say, even though I'm ashamed to say it, I bought it and didn't reload windows on it! I'm still using it in it's factory-state with a few programs removed.

I shut down. My boot drive is an SSD and so it's so quick to boot that theres no need to hibernate. Plus because it's an SSD, i've completely disabled the hibernate function since it causes extra writes to the SSD. Hibernate writes everything in the notebooks memory to the HDD so that next time you hit the power button it loads it all back into the memory. For the sake of the SSD I disabled it to prevent the extra writes.

i use hibernate on both my laptop and desktop. still saves programs and everything is turned off and it is ready to go in less than 10 seconds

Shutdown as will every other time I have tried to hibernate, it never comes back up and Im too lazy to find out why. :)

Back