• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do You Want to Race in May?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

We really enjoy having the SETI team working with us in Folding@Home, throughout the Chimp Challenge race, every year.

Final race rules haven't been set for 2012 yet, but in the past:

1) The race lasts for about 10 days only.

2) Folding@Home has no RAC. When you return the work unit, you receive the credit for the work unit, in an hour or two.

"Run up" is limited to the time it takes to fold your first work unit. A change of folding client programs is necessary. F@Home uses their own folding client, and it's a bit more complex than BOINC to set up. More info on this later. (We have a new Folding Client program, just released today, so it's easier than ever before - finally!). :D

3) There is no caching of work units. You receive one work unit only, at a time.

The teams competing are handicapped now - and one year that might favor the smallest teams, and another year it might not. There is no limit to the number of teammates you can add for the race - the more the merrier, actually! "Sandbaggers" with racks of servers they want to test, or strong PC's, are *welcome*!

The teams competing are some of the most prolific teams in F@H:
EVGA, OCNET, TSC! Russia, Custom PC and Bit Tech, OCAU (Aussies), Hardware Canucks (last year's winners), MaxPC (magazine), and little old us at Overclockers.com.

Results are tallied and updated every hour or so, around the clock.

Last year we had a *very* poor start, quickly winding up in last place. (As some of you may recall). With the help of our Rosetta and SETI crunchers joining us, along with a few strong F@H folders getting into the race, we pulled out a nice mid-field finish.

I have a status type thread of our team's doings, in the F@Home forum, and everyone jumps in with their thoughts, as well. It had about a dozen pages and well over a thousand views, last year. Recaps the race, from our teams point of view.

This year, we have a question regarding the race, that needs to be answered by everyone who has joined us in the past -

Do you want to race, this year?

To me, it's the funnest thing you can do in Folding, with your clothes on, bar none. But it's not fun to do a lot of preparation, and then when the race starts, your team isn't at the starting line. :eek: :eek:

Like last year. As RipD posted at that time:
:
The individual points tell a story here. Less than 15 out of our top 50 folders are all in. Trends for many show they're not in at all. If any of you know any of these guys I'd reach out with a personal request. I get that a few can't or don't want to play, but surely we can do better.
By preparation, I mean a lot of our team folders have multiple PC's, and every one of them has to be re-set to the new team name, and the new team passkey, for the race. After the race, they again need to be set back. While most folding PC's are local, some are not.

So I'm putting up a poll Do You Want to Race?. Please vote in the poll, located in the Folding team sub-forum. The results will figure strongly in deciding whether we participate in the race, or not.

FYI:
Our traditional rival in the race, has been MaxPC. We have each won the race, in the past (neither has won recently however). The last two years we've beaten them handily.

We've also come from behind in the last day of the race, to beat the strong TSC! team, two years in a row. Always a pleasure!
:burn: :burn: :burn:

I've never folded, but it sounds interesting. Whats the best way to learn how to get up and running with F@H?

Races are always fun as well, so I'm in. I just hope I don't get that 4P bug thats been going around!

We have a new (still beta actually) folding client - V7, that makes getting up and running a lot easier.

Exactly how to optimize F@H, depends on your system. I'll start up a thread for you in the folding team forum - stop by and post up your system specs.

Team racing is a LOT of fun, imo. See you over there.

Yeah, I posted there to. I like helping out in the chimp challenge. I'm up for it. Just hope it's easier to install now than it was the last time I tried.

Yeah, I posted there to. I like helping out in the chimp challenge. I'm up for it. Just hope it's easier to install now than it was the last time I tried.

We have a brand new folding client - V7 and it is all Windows, (no terminal or command line interaction required), and as easy as pie to set up for folding.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7098166&postcount=4532

Has everything you need except the passkey for the race. We'll get a team passkey (like last year), I believe. We won't know for sure until after the rules are finalized for this years race.

Stay tuned for dangerous excitement in d/c, as we get nearer to race day in May.

Back