• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does AMD have a next gen performance CPU planned?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firesoul453

Right now for performance CPUs intel is definitely better but AMD is better value so there is still a reason to buy AMD. However Intel has progression every year and AMD seems to just slightly overclock or add more cores or something. They can't just keep overclocking their CPUs.
I'm already seeing GPU rumors but nothing CPU side. Their Piledriver architecture is from 2012 I believe! Where intel's is from 2013 with a new one planned for early 2015 (with an improved version of each architecture every even year!)

Looks like

Is there any hope for AMD in the CPU market? Are they doomed to just fall behind the performance CPU market? Sure AMD has a future with budget APUs for laptops and really low end PCs (and consoles) but is that it? (Also looks like they are getting into the ARM business)

I really worry Intel prices will slowly go up and up if AMD isn't there with their Budget friendly competition.

Not that I'm aware of, from what I can tell they are focused on GPU and APU.

Supposedly some time in 2016 codename Zen, they've brought back some good minds and are diligently working away. With luck they might bring something competitive to the table once again. Even their Kabini AM1 stuff has shown some nice IPC gains but they're low watt/speed processors.

Back