• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone have any experience with a PCIe -> MXM Adapter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Anyone have any experience with one of these? Obviously it's a PCI express x1 -> MXM GPU adapter...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952012735.html

When I plug this into my desktop the GPU gets warm but isn't detected in device manager. On a hunch I thought maybe it wasn't getting the full 75W of power than an x16 slot would provide--since obviously the x1 card isn't going to trigger the x16 sense pins--so I grabbed one of those mining PCIe x1 -> PCIe x16 adapters that sends everything over a USB cable...these get 100% of their power from an external power source (either molex or SATA) and that would ensure the GPU gets all the power it's asking for.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Prod...VC6CzCh0AagBiEAQYBSABEgLCpfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well it still doesn't work! Any of you have any actual experience with these or any intelligent thoughts on what it would take to make it work?

Thanks
Z

My only real thought as every part of this is new to me (and interesting) is that you are assuming that the part you got from Ali-express actually works. My other thought is along the lines of your MXM adapter is PCIe 3.0. What ver of PCIe is your MB?

I've got a few different MXM GPUs and they exhibit the same behavior (they get warm to touch but aren't detected by OS), hence I don't think the problem is a dead GPU. I have no ability to confirm the PCIe adapter is working but if you look at the thing it's about the simplest device you can imagine--frankly from my non-engineer background I don't even think there's anything on the adapter that's susceptible to static electricity. Aside from physical damage I don't think it's possible to break the adapter.

The PCIe card is 3.0 as is the motherboard.

These things are meant for cryptocurrency mining...anyone have pointers to a mining resource that might actually have touched one of these?

Thanks
Z

Back