• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone remember launches aligning like this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Maybe I'm just old and don't remember, but does anyone recall Intel/AMD/NV launching so many things so close together...

AMD is releasing new CPUs here in a couple of weeks. They are also releasing new GPU architecture very shortly after that.
Intel is releasing new CPUs here in a month or so. They are also releasing a new GPU arch
NV is releasing new GPUs in the coming months.

So, basically from September to November EVERYTHING will be new. Does anyone recall when there was such alignment?

I guess I've never paid attention to it so I never noticed it. Then again I usually buy one generation back for builds. That said I like that everything will be released so close. This way I'm not buying some, waiting, buying another part, waiting some, on so on. I would also think it will be better for driver and software updates since there won't need to be an update for pieces as they are released, just minor tweaks to fix bugs.

Could it be because so many people upgraded in 20/21 that they don't want a drop in sales so they are all pulling forward product releases? Can't have a lull in sales.

Seems to me that the pre-Christmas releases aren't novel. Seems that there were always a lot of notebook releases before schooling begins in the fall. And then more releases after Computex.

That they align likely has to do with some insider knowledge about the economy, supply chains, cost of goods, even newer tech for the spring. ????

I don't ever remember AMD and Intel launching new CPUs together. They were always staggered, at least since around Barton. I don't recall Nvidia's release times compared to others.

Seems to me that the pre-Christmas releases aren't novel. Seems that there were always a lot of notebook releases before schooling begins in the fall.
Well, I wasn't remarking about the pre-holiday timeframe; that's most certainly a thing/ideal for these organizations. What I thought was unique is that new GPUs and CPUs/Chipsets are ALL coming out within a couple of months of each other. I could be crazy too... :rofl:

Notebooks release with the cadence of new notebook processors (and of course sales for back-to-school, the holidays, etc.).

Could it be because so many people upgraded in 20/21 that they don't want a drop in sales so they are all pulling forward product releases? Can't have a lull in sales.
Interesting thought! If I think about it, AMD hasn't come out with anything new (outside of the super-cache chip) for nearly two years (5000 series was 11/2020, Intel Alder Lake's 10000 series was 11/2021) so they're just due for a new arch. Intel's new chip may be pulled forward to compete with AMD's launch, though, to me..on paper, it's a 'tok' not a 'tick' (rumored performance increases have it more like next-gen faster in some tests - why that is, clocks or IPC or core count or all the above, no idea) since they're compatible with Z690.

NV 3000 series was released over two years ago (September), so it's due... and AMD 6000 was in late November.

Last edited:
It feels like Intel try to go for around annual release schedule for CPUs, longer if things are not going well. AMD average CPU release cycle is longer. Sooner or later a close release is possible.

GPU wise wasn't Ampere/RDNA2 close anyway? And they're still on a roughly similar scale.

It feels like Intel try to go for around annual release schedule for CPUs, longer if things are not going well. AMD average CPU release cycle is longer. Sooner or later a close release is possible.

GPU wise wasn't Ampere/RDNA2 close anyway? And they're still on a roughly similar scale.
Yep, when I have some time, I'll look up the release dates for the past couple of CPU/GPU gens and see if I'm nuts or not.

But yeah, with Intel in on graphics, That's 3 new GPU archs, 2 new CPU archs within 3 months of each other. There's not so much of the "I'll wait to see what XXX has to offer next quarter/year, etc" with literally all major parties putting something new out in the same quarter.

Maybe I'm just old and don't remember, but does anyone recall Intel/AMD/NV launching so many things so close together...

So, basically from September to November EVERYTHING will be new. Does anyone recall when there was such alignment?
Remember? My 3 dimmest memories? My first toy, My first Love (Becky🥰) and this past weekend. :unsure:

oh, man!
i kinda wish i had the spare cash to spend another 10G on PC parts... i'd SOOOOOO build a new DDR5 / PCIE 5.0 rig with all the new stuff!
only reason i built a AM4 rig was random reboots on the 4th gen i7E rig. those random reboots sux when it comes to online gaming... I was really hoping to wait another year for AM5

Most premieres used to be like 3-4 months between AMD/Nvidia GPUs, or AMD/Intel CPUs. I mean something like Intel was released in Nov, AMD in March next year. We could see mixed new product premieres spread for 4-5 months and additional, lower products 2-3 months later. It was never everything in the same ~2-3 months. What's more, it was never starting in September, but Oct/Nov (with some noise in Sept). The last Intel series was released in Sept, but on paper, as motherboards were available about a month or two later and most DDR5 another 1-2 months later.

I see it like premieres are typically between Sept-Nov and next March-May. However, in the last years, it's usually like a lot of noise for 2 months, next a paper premiere and 1-2 months delay. Next users are beta testers for 6 months, and we get improved motherboards or new chipsets or whatever that makes many early adopters angry.

The only thing I wish is a well-designed generation without stupid design flaws, not making users beta testers, no 20+ BIOS released to make something work, and no chipset/PCB changes in 6-8 months. I wish to buy a new rig and be sure it's good and my money was well spent. I don't think I had that feeling for maybe 10 years.

Back