• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Windows rot over time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What causes Windows to die over time?

• Total voters
The most dangerous thing windoz faces is it's user. My XP box is eight years old, tons of software. I think I've had two or three issues over the years from **** caught off the net. Sure. it's slowed down a bit, but I only reboot two times a month at most. It's power on 24/7.

I never had that kind of luck with XP. I HATE that OS so much.

Vista was great and too date stands as my longest single system/install. I had a an install period of over 18 months, and only shut down the PC when I was going to be away from the house for the weekend. System up times of 2+ weeks were normal.

This was an exception for two reasons.

1) My system hardware did not change greatly. It did handle one mobo/CPU upgrade (AM2 to AM2+), and a couple of video card swaps.

2) It never really slowed down.

Even windows 7 slows down, if you use a boot timer you will notice that from fresh install to 6 months down the road boot time will change by 30+ seconds easily.

XP changed that much in 5 minutes lol.

Still I think windows OSes are very stable and if you do not use 3rd party software you will never see anything but a minimal change in performance. But if you are constantly trying out trialware or uninstalling reinstalling software then yes, you will have issues.

Note: I do not use Firefox or IE on my systems for the better part of the last decade. Die hard Opera user so I am not hit by drive by attacks. Not sure how Chrome stands up in the security department. I do kind of like it though it is pretty much exactly what Opera is just missing more features. Only reason I do not use it, is because I am not thrilled with the idea of an advertising company providing me with free software. :)

Note: I do not use Firefox or IE on my systems for the better part of the last decade. Die hard Opera user so I am not hit by drive by attacks. Not sure how Chrome stands up in the security department. I do kind of like it though it is pretty much exactly what Opera is just missing more features. Only reason I do not use it, is because I am not thrilled with the idea of an advertising company providing me with free software. :)

You can run your browser inside a sandbox if you don't want browser based malware infecting your system.

I think one reason any os slows down is Internet Security Suites.I use a simple firewall with rules to block the most commonly hacked ports.Those are the ports that windows uses, and they never change.Hackers love that stuff.A router will not solve all your problems, but add a software based firewall in combination, with good rules and a router, and your more secure.Next, use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes to do on demand scans vs a suite of crap that bogs all your resources continually.Other than that CCleaner and Tune-up Utilities.You can set Tune up Utilities to run in turbo mode.This stops all the backround tasks when not in use.Even better go into task manager and stop the processes of the program, and use it when needed.This keeps my os running fast and smooth.Is there degradation after time, probably.When things seem slower, its time for your back-up image.

Below.Most commonly hacked ports.

Attachments

• ports.jpg
    ports.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Windows rotting ... LOL !!

Just don't install/uninstall progs. all the time , CClean (piriform) at startup.
My Win7 pro install is 2 years old ... still 7.5 gigs and in perfect order.

2manypcees

I wonder what the longest is any enthusaist went without having a problem on Windows (not little problems, like driver incompatibilities, but BSODs, etc.)

After Windows Me came out 13 years ago, the longest I went without reimaging in the past 13 years is almost three months.

By month 3, I was ready to

I could not imagine a life without reimaging. Properly set up dual boot system can image one OS from the other in less time it takes to diagnose the smallest of problems. Nuke & reimage has always been the only way to use Windows!

Why waste time, nuke that thing. Tweak the image once a month and nuke at least once a month. I still have multiple running Windows 2000/Me dual boot machines in the house because of that.

OK first let me qualify myself....
I have been a MS beta tester since Windows 98,
I am a bench tech, and do windows installs, upgrades, down-grades, and troubleshoot issues with it up to 15-20 times a day.

After reading through this thread and the choices of the poll, some of the answers are easy.
First no windows does not come with ANY security software. The microsoft security esentials is like all other MS security software is and has always been suspect. If the "free" security software (AVG, Avast, etc) is the bottom then this is what holds the bottom up, plain and simple. To many ways to test it using port scanners, leak tests, and at the shop the record for viruses is 1943 on a system protected with MS security essentials and Norton.
Next the degradation of Windows installs mostly is from the fact that most people set updates to "Automatic", even though several times a year the internet is flooded with warnings of bad updates. Also the fact of almost 150 updates for a fresh install of Win 7 SP1 and the attitude of M$ that they will not be making a Service Pack again for Windows 7, means that the drivers are going to go bad, or even worst people will go and grab the newest manufactures driver for a aging piece of hardware that had no issues, but in the goal of installing a new driver and your system is going to become a like new computer, however the drivers may not really be designed for your system.
Next since most update the system automatically, the remains of the old files, or even the new files and with out something to go through there and clean it out those remains will stay in there.
Defraging!!! First the harddrive, and sorry Windows defrag is worthless, looks like the same one they have used since Windows 95. And while your at it the registry should be defragged pretty often, those automatic updates are writing to the registry. Your registry is way bigger now then when you installed it, find something GOOD that will scan your registry for problems, clean it and the defrag the registry.
Swapfiles and services, We go through this every day, its not uncommon to see a Vista computer boot with over 100 processes running, Win 7 installs about 31-35 and with some prudent care will remain very low. Just make sure that the programs added are not starting with Windows boot.
Bloatware... The stuff that people install just to add an extension like flash player, where they end up installing whatever sponsor software, and toolbars (i.e. virus downloaders), etc will all end up affecting the Windows install.
First it has to be understood that Windows was not designed for people that use this forum, its designed for Granny to use to send recipes to Aunt Edna, as well as medium users playing mid level games on sub par hardware, hard to make a product that will work for so many levels is a very difficult task indeed, which is why I am kinda surprised that more of the people on this site doesn't use a Server version of the Windows OS, where you can pretty much limit the services you use and not even install the ones you never will.
OK I am turning into a rambling old man here so I will stop now.

DAKz,

1. Pay-for Antivirus does not mean automatically "better" Antivirus. Avira freeware is difficult to set up but their definitions beat most pay-for versions.

2. I absolutely agree about the update philosophy. I would never run Windows update w/o imaging my OS partition first. Under no circumstances should Windows update be allowed to run hardware (as opposed to Windows OS) updates.

3. Since no two pieces of "Registry cleaning" software remove the same entries, how do you know which ones are right? Because of so many posts of Registry Cleaning software removing reg entries it should not have removed, after all these years it has become clear that most Registry Cleaning software is much like Snake Oil was a couple of centuries ago.

Is there a test proving that Registry Cleaners actually and measurably enhance performance. We've never seen one.

4. Programs starting with Windows are another matter, here's a good freeware allowing a quick look at what's could possibly be removed as far as third party apps are concerned, with a single click display:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html

OS services however may be needed, so I would hesitate to mess with native OS stuff. How do you know which Windows OS services to disable (as opposed to third party software).

5. Please post a list of services if you have one, that you feel are not needed. It would be interesting to remove anything that is not needed but I would hesitate to remove too many entries.

1. Pay-for Antivirus does not mean automatically "better" Antivirus. Avira freeware is difficult to set up but their definitions beat most pay-for versions.

Personally I have used Eset for years, and will continue to do so. However at the shop we use malware bytes and combo fix along with rkill. Sorry but in 37 years I have never seen a good "FREE" antimalware. You get what you pay for. That being said, If you feel the need to run a free one then find two that can coexist with each other and use one to check the other. I recommend malware bytes to a lot of people because it will update on its own, is good at rootkits and worms, and updates the defs automatically. If you can get it server antivirus scanners are fast and very effective and are a great second scanner to test the first scanner. Key here is you have to know what the results are telling you, this comes from experience and mostly knowing what files belong there and what doesn't.

3. Since no two pieces of "Registry cleaning" software remove the same entries, how do you know which ones are right? Because of so many posts of Registry Cleaning software removing reg entries it should not have removed, after all these years it has become clear that most Registry Cleaning software is much like Snake Oil was a couple of centuries ago.

All registry tools offer a "backup option" use it if your unsure about what it finds, for our customers I suggest cccleaner its simple effective and free, for more deeper higher level users I suggest two tools, tweaknow power pack, and AVG tune up, again one checking the other.

Is there a test proving that Registry Cleaners actually and measurably enhance performance. We've never seen one.

"We" have seen many, its really the fact that a lot of malware does write its self into the registry and using rkill to stop them then a good av scanner to remove them then defrag your rergistry will show marked improvement. Plus as windows runs and updates are added software is replaced or removed these registry entries will remain in there as long as the registry survives, all the time getting bigger and bigger, anything to reduce the size of the registry means faster better performance.

5. Please post a list of services if you have one, that you feel are not needed. It would be interesting to remove anything that is not needed but I would hesitate to remove too many entries.

No need to remove them, there are several that can be disabled to see the results of the actions through the services in admin tools, if you have a good firewall, (and windows does not make a good firewall at all) then the ALG is the first one that comes to mind, there are many again depending on what you got running, spooler is another unless your box is a dedicated printer sharer then this can be set to manual start up, nividia and ati are bad about starting programs that once you get your card setup aren't used much afterwards, again a manual start up is smarter. A lot of these again comes to experience and trail and error, by using the services section in admin tools you can control these depending on your setup and what you use, more importantly what you don't use. Ones to never mess with are pretty easy to see, explorer.exe is windows GUI, leave that one alone, svchost is internet, updates, etc, leave those alone, there are likely to be many of them. Yes you can crash your system if you turn off the wrong ones, but these are easily recovered in safe mode and re-enabling them again through the services section of admin tools. Fist place to look would be the right hand side of the taskbar where there are a lot of programs running. Are you using them? Exit them then disiable them from automatic start in the services section. Next start task manager and click the Processes tab there they all are and from there you can gain huge ground on what your system is running and looking at the cpu and the memory column you can see where and what is being used, firefox (or any browser) uses most of the resources, and if you see something here that looks out of place then might be time to point a good av scanner at that area. You should be able to get your system down to less then 50 processes just by eliminating the fluff that your not running all the time. However to make a list of what works for mine will assume that your running the same software I am for the exact same uses.

1. i dont use antivirus software not even microsoft essentials.. it is anoying. tells me half the stuff i write myself is a virus lol. i move all of my programs to another disk then start up trendmicro house call about once a month it rarely finds anything. 99%of anything it does find is something i made or tools i use, that i know for a fact arent viruses. and i use the housecall on all of my clients pc's when they bring them in, and it definitely finds and removes them. (most of my software read and rewrite memory or inject dll's antivirus dont like it lol)

3. ive seen registry cleaners do more harm than good.

4. you can just use msconfig.
5. most windows process are there for a reason. and they dont hardly use any resources... so leavem...

i am going the image way soon c627627 its way easier than starting from scratch every time you decide to reinstall. though my installs seem to last quite a bit longer than 3 months it still sucks to do it lol. just got my pxe server up working on getting clonezilla to run from it but will end up probably finding something else to live boot to write images to the disk

p.s. i just upgraded my bosses pc to windows 7.. turns out hes had xp on that computer for like 7 years, it still ran fine too, he never installed anything though.... other than office lol.

Last edited:
registry cleaners are not the problem, users are the problem LOL, I have actually seen a guy with 15 av scanners in windows vista, We have met the enemy and he is us!

Reimaging is a good thing, but you need to pick your spots, you can reimage issues viruses, and reg errors right along with the image. Still requires a knowledge of your system files to insure your going to image only the good stuff, unless you do it right after install, and thats called a windows install disk.

After install + after you set everything exactly how you wanted to be. Provided that point is stable, that's the image point. From then on, on a multi boot system, you can image as often as once a month, every patch Tuesday. Multi TB hard drives have plenty of space to keep OS partition images. You don't need the OS partition to be big.

Images can be kept on different hard drives for 2-3 minute nuke-reimage process - the ultimate solution for all future problems.

Registry cleaners can do more harm than good. There should be no correlation of registry physical size to performance. What actually RUNS with windows, that's something that can be disabled, but not by blind 'clean your registry' processes, which are by definition risky, because you have no control over what they remove and IF it's needed or not by the specific system.

registry cleaners are not the problem, users are the problem LOL, I have actually seen a guy with 15 av scanners in windows vista, We have met the enemy and he is us!

no wonder why people hate vista it has 15 av's :shock:

no this owner actually added all the av scanners, figuring if one is good then 15 has to be better, now since vista boots with 54 processes running on a fresh install then 15 more av scanners meant a very slow system and very high cpu and ram use, yet he could figure out why his system was so slow.:rofl:

He was joking. Even two AV apps can clash and cause system instability.

It is normal for Windows Vista/7/8 to have what in comparison to Windows 98 appear to be large number of processes. That doesn't mean every single one is crucial for system operation, but it is third-party user installed software running at boot that is the main culprit when it comes to initial system responsiveness.

No he was not jokiing the guy really had 15 av scanners on his computer.
Windows 7 fresh install loads 31-34 processes, Vista loads 52-54 fresh install.

Back