• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does wireless impact download speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

I recently moved, and so Comcast had to transfer our service. During the new installation I had my netbook plugged directly into the modem and got a speedtest.net result of roughly 22Mbps. Once I had my router setup and was connecting wirelessly, I was getting about half that. Is this normal, or should I be investigating some setting?

That is about normal. Unless you have a slow internet connection, you will never get the full speed of your internet through wireless.

All things being equal wireless is always slower than wired. A lot of this is due to wireless protocols. Despite the improvement in wireless speeds over the years I still much prefer a wired connection.

All things being equal wireless is always slower than wired. A lot of this is due to wireless protocols. Despite the improvement in wireless speeds over the years I still much prefer a wired connection.

Do prefer my 1000m/bit wired compared to the 80/100m/bit wireless.

Wireless is and will be behind for many years to come. But the average user wouldnt notice at all.

That's about normal really. The overhead in the 802.11 protocol is somewhat large. Remember, the wireless packets that are being transmitted have to deal with interference from all kinds of devices - microwaves, TVs, cell phones, cordless phones, etc.

I get 18.9Mbps on my wireless G & 20.1Mbps (Comcast cap) on my wired PC using a Comcast 20/4 connection. IMO you have a problem if you're only getting 11Mbps on your wireless download. Like Dave suggested, it could be a cordless phone or other appliance. It could be a weak signal too.

you also have to take into consideration the distance of the wifi signal.... as signal quality and strength decline so does max speed.

Theoretically your going to max a 54mbit 802.11g connection at 27mbit/s .... 54mbit denotes the max bandwidth of both ways together. factor in some ovehead and your down around 22-25mbit max over 802.11g and thats with a perfect close to 100% signal and quality.

I'm about 15 feet away from my wireless g router in the same room, and my connection says it has "excellent" signal and connected at 54 Mbps. The router is about 12" off of the floor, and there is a cordless phone base mounted on the wall about 5 1/2 feet up and a couple feet away, although it's a 6ghz phone so it won't be interfering. I don't notice fluctuations and I don't have an issue with the difference in speed, I was just wondering if the difference is simply "the way things are" with wireless networking.

When I do speedtests on my laptop I get about 16mb/s download (out of the 50mb/s my internet offers), I only have a wireless g access point, 2 stories above me so I cant expect much more.

Imo, the only reason anything should be wireless is it if has to, such as laptops,tablets,phones etc, desktops should always be wired.

Last edited:
I completely agree markp. I just haven't made the time to get another ethernet cable and drill more holes in my floor.

Back