• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dont know what to do!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

Hello everyone :cool:

I'm new to overclocking. Here's my deal: I'll be building my new gaming rig in about a month or two at most. It will be A64 3500+ on that new MSI Neo2 that isnt out yet. I'm going to want to do some overclocking with it, but since I have very little experiance with O/C I figured I should first practice on my cheaper hardware I have now, so I did.

Right now I'm running:
AMD Duron 1.8GHz
ASUS A7V266-E
768MB RAM (Crucial, PC2100 if I remember correctly)

So, my goal was to experiment with overclocking to get some experiance and try and get my Duron 1.8 to run at 2.0GHz. I was reading a lot on the net where people with the Duron 1.6 where getting their's up to 2.3GHz - 2.5GHz range!! So I figured it would be no problem to hit only 2.0GHz (my goal) with my Duron 1.8... NOT!

My Default Settings:
CPU:System Frequency Multiple [13.5x]
System/PCI Frequency (MHz) [133/33]
System/SDRAM Frequency Ratio [Auto]
CPU Vcore [1.65V]

Multi is locked, cant change that. So in order to get to my goal of 2.0GHz the ONLY thing I did was increase the System/PCI Frequency from 133/33 to 149/37, one MHz at a time. This brought me right up to 2.0GHz, just as I wanted! :D

So here where my O/C settings at that time:
System/PCI Frequency (MHz) [149/37]
CPU Vcore [1.65V]

With these settings I was able to boot into Windows and see that it was indeed runing @ 2.0GHz. So I started to run Sandra CPU benchmark to see how stable it was before I started pushing it up anymore... it wouldnt run for longer than 2 minutes after the Benchmark would start, just kept shutting down :(

I figured the Vcore was too low, since I never changed it and left it at 1.65V the whole time, so I changed it all the way up to 1.85V.

So now my O/C settings were at:
System/PCI Frequency (MHz) [149/37]
CPU Vcore [1.85V]

Still, no luck... kept on crashing very shortly after I would start the bench! (I did not just go from 1.65V to 1.85V in one jump) After it was still crashing with the 1.85V Vcore I just gave up and put it back down to the 1.8GHz (default) settings. I dont know what to do!

I know its not a temperature issue... the hottest the CPU ever got was when I ran a quick 10 minute bench @ 1.9GHz - The CPU got up to 44C and that was it... not that high at all :(

What should I do??!?! Am I going about this the wrong way and doing something wrong? Do I need a better motherboard? Do I just get a Duron 1.6 and play with that to get it in the 2GHz range? I just dont understand why I cant get 2.0GHz stable with the 1.8 and work up from there!

Thank you in advance!
-Jesse

EDIT: I'm going to post a copy of this in the AMD CPU section since I think I should have put this there in the 1st place... A mod can delete this if you want... sorry :rolleyes:

Last edited:
you need better RAM or setup the RAM deviders. your RAM is speced to run at 133mhz fsb, and its OC'ed to 149. You should get some 3200. 3200 is speced to run at 200mhz fsb

i had the same problem when i started out, 512mb PC2100 and Athlon Xp 2100, i got it up to 154 fsb, thats all the RAM could do. Once i got some PC3200, i got it to 160fsb on stock cooling.

^^ He is right. Its most likely the ram, and keeping it on the auto setting is probably making it run much higher than 133.

If you do not want to buy new ram.
1. change the divider
or
2. relax your timings ALOT.

Okay, cack01 - what would you suggest setting my timings to, or changing the divider?

Change the setting on "System/SDRAM Frequency Ratio" Right now you have it on Auto, which is probably 1:1. There should be an option to make it 1/4 or 1/3. It works in the same manner as your "System/PCI Frequency" option.

I think there is two other options, one I think is 100:100 ad the other is 133:133

Back