• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't lap with a dremel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
arabarabian said:
I think that the best method of lapping is to first to a fine sandpaper, 1400. Then finish it off with the finest steel wool you can get.

Thank you,
Daniel

Steel wool??? unless is's a sheet and you're doing it over a flat surface, forget it...I also don't get how steel wool would do any good.

The best method(for us non-professionals) as given by BillA and Graystar:
Sand only in one direction, meaning take the hs and push it in one direction, pick it up, put it back at its starting point, and push again. NEVER rotate the HS and try to apply pressure evenly over every part of the HS.

I believe that anything over 800 or 1000 won't give you much benefit. I also don't see the benefit of polishing either.

I always use 600 then 1500, you can definately tell the difference after using the higher grit. In fact, I'm about to lap a heatsink to put on the voltage regulator heatspreader of my 9700 :D

I prefer a fresh sheet of 600 on a nice thick piece of glass which I have set into my kitchen sink at a 45° angle so that the water can run directly across the sandpaper and remove the material as I sand it...
I use a circular motion for sanding, holding the heatsink firmly and being careful to keep it as flat to the paper as I can...I never bother with anything above 600 as it is way too time consuming to get a mirror finish and I doubt the effort is worth it anyway...
I generally like to hold the sandpaper on the glass by hand and change it often so that I get a good amount of material removal thruout the process...
Takes about a half hour if you change paper often enough...
Be careful, go easy and be patient...
No sweat, and a good drop in temps...

:D

Back