• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 Final version Patch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I do understand that it is their first patch, but they need to realize if they want to make this game more mainstream and more into the competitive game it once was they need to listen to the community that plays the game.

As for the mods, making a pro mod for any game usually kills the game entirely look at I believe quake. After they made a pro mod it split up the community from pro/sponsered players from everyday players which in thus bad for the both communities since it makes them both smaller and gives them more work for each unit. All I'm saying the multiplayer is still bad and they really need to work on it. As of right now all top players are doing is controling the armor and camping the rocket launcher...

To each their own, Doom 3 fills a nitch of its' own, mainly by the single player atmosphere. The multiplayer aspect is similar to Halo, at least when you play with a few close friends. There is less emphasis on "grab weapon, kill enemy, many people to kill" and more on "now exactly WHERE are you!?!? What did you fire at me with!?!" True, this is not a game strong in the multiplayer aspect, but then again I wasn't expecting that sort of game.

In Halo, there was no bots and a few close friends playing, emphasis on few. The game turns more into strategy of finding your opponent, engaging, and either winning or running away (depends on your success rate in encounters too!! :)). Doom 3 is similar in gameplay respects, with the levels being more spooky and having more places to hide in. Also, the bezerk powerup is nice to obtain at times.

Future games will use the Doom 3 engine and will be more multiplayer intensive. Just wait for those games and know that they will have the potential to be as graphically intensive as Doom 3. Multiplayer focused games will come out soon enough.

Now as for the patch, there is no guidelines to what a patch must be. As far as I can tell, a patch at minimum has to fix bugs in the game. Sometimes, rarely, it can add game features. However, for game feature updates I usually look for mods, which are player made modifications to the game for the purpose of adding features and having more fun with the game itself. If anything will come out of the modding camp to satisfy the multiplayer weaknesses, it will take time at the very least.

I am a gamer, and I love multiplayer for the most part. I do not multiplay over the internet, so I love multiplayer in the respect that there are bots in the game that I can play against on my own terms. Also, when some friends come over, I get to play with a few live people too and share a few good laughs.

Doom 3 does not have bots, but I am somewhat thankful that it has a multiplayer at all. I am satisfied with the game and the storyline, and recognize how much tallent it must have taken to make a game of that scale.

Conclusion... to each there own (comming back to my main point). If you don't like Doom 3's multiplayer, then play a game who has a direct focus on multiplayer. Doom 3 might have a better multiplayer in the future, but don't see the company as being too lazy in relation to this game beacuse they don't reinvent multiplayer, much less reinvent it in the first patch!! This game is their creation, I bet they know of the problems with it, and will work on the issue as they so please.

Lastly, a topic such as this shouldn't belong in this thread, but a new one. I didn't come to this thread expecting a discussion such as this. So, please, if you feel up for a discussion about the weak multiplayer in Doom 3, start a thread. It is just as easy as posting a message here! :)

[/LONG rant over]

Catalan said:
Yes, I do understand that it is their first patch, but they need to realize if they want to make this game more mainstream and more into the competitive game it once was they need to listen to the community that plays the game.

It has #1 sales in many regions. By #1, i mean overall. Better sales than all console games.

Mainstream, yes? :clap:

Back