• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 PC vs XBOX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im not sure how it well look ,but think if you had the proper set up HDTV with a 1080i signal from your xbox.the thing im most concern about is the mulpitplayer on XBOX Live and what FPS the xbox version well run at.

lol, I like my Xbox, but not even I would make that claim, lol.

I bet it will look as good as the PC version at 800 x 600 with medium details, just because you are much closer to the PC screen and the pixelation is is more obvious (its science and you can't argue with science;)) and because the Xbox can do pretty much anything a modern video card can at TV resolutions with the exception of DX9 stuff. So yeah, I say 800 x 600 with medium detail, but I sure as heck ain't playin with those settings on my PC.

Ding!Ding!Ding!

PC wins by a knock out!

The xbox version wasn't developed my ID was it? I thought I remembered reading somewhere about the whole thing. They had another company more or less in charge of porting the technology over to the xbox. I could be mistaken, but even if i'm not - there's no way in hell it will look anywhere near as good as the PC version.

Let's assume the xbox has the same horsepower as a decent gaming PC (which it doesn't but lets just assume for the sake of arguement). You STILL have to play on a television set. At what resolution? Yep, usually 640 x 480. The texture quality and overall sharpness of tv's compared to monitors is nothing to write home about.

And also as someone pointed out, I wouldn't play Doom III on a controller if you payed me...

While we are on DIII (can't swing a dead cat above your head with out hitting 6 or 7 of them on this forum) anyone know if 512 mb of ram will handle high quality very well? I've seen a couple of people state their systems run it at 1024 x 768 on high settings with 512, but I was wondering if there is any lag or whatnot.

ps I saw the [H] article, but it looked like they used 1024 mb for all the tests.

I really don't care which one looks better. I just know that I will be able to lie on my couch to play if I wait for the Xbox version. That's enough for me.
I work at my computer all day and just can't stand playing games on it at night. Hmmm, might be time to change jobs....

Get yourself a good sized monitor like my NEC 22", a Logitech Wireless keyboard like my DiNovo, and a Wireless Mouse like my MX900, and you can sit on your couch and game just like I do. Some nights I just get too tired to sit in my chair and strain my eyes, so I just go the short distance to my couch (yes my room bedroom is quite small) sit down, and play some games.

LMAO I simply don't believe that Doom 3 was first being developed for the Xbox. Even if John Carmack himself told it to me I would not have believed him. I mean, Doom 3 was first shown at the presentation of the GeForce 3, the xbox was not even anounced at that time. And if it was, it wasnt at the point where the development of Doom 3 started, which was about 5 years ago.

And Doom 3 on the xbox looks like total crap (compared to PC version of course), u would have known if u had seen the screenies. The game looks better even on my GeForce 3 when I play @ 640x480 low quality with all advanced options turned off. I'm not kidding, I'm still having nightmares from when I first saw this xbox screenshot:

914444_20040505_screen004.jpg

xbox is vastly inferior to the pc. the xbox will be running at 640 with no fsaa, no af, and low-medium details.

the only thing the xbox has over the pc is co-op mode (which will be available for pc through a mod).

with the xbox, you have to pay for their live service to play online. pretty weak.

with mods, the mulitplayer on the pc will be much more than the standard 4 player death match. osp, cpma, ctf, 32 players, blah blah blah.

overall, the pc version is a much better buy.

hm well untill you play both version, When the xbox version is officially released and not the beta , considering thats what u got the screenie from. Anyways besides that they are talking about moving Doom 3 to the xbox 2 instead from what i heard which will be extreamly better in my thoughts then to release it on box now.

play both versions? it's the same freaking game. there is nothing to compare when it comes to gameplay or content. the only thing different is that the xbox version will look worse and it will have co-op with the shipping version.

you can wait 2 years for the "phantom" xbox2 version if you want.

rashly said:
play both versions? it's the same freaking game. there is nothing to compare when it comes to gameplay or content. the only thing different is that the xbox version will look worse and it will have co-op with the shipping version.

you can wait 2 years for the "phantom" xbox2 version if you want.

yes yes , lol funny how you get all made over quality and not quality of gameplay , im playing WOlf3d and spear of destiney still .... why u may ask.. no not cuase of the great graphics but cuase its fun

Panzerknacker said:
LMAO I simply don't believe that Doom 3 was first being developed for the Xbox. Even if John Carmack himself told it to me I would not have believed him. I mean, Doom 3 was first shown at the presentation of the GeForce 3, the xbox was not even anounced at that time. And if it was, it wasnt at the point where the development of Doom 3 started, which was about 5 years ago.

And Doom 3 on the xbox looks like total crap (compared to PC version of course), u would have known if u had seen the screenies. The game looks better even on my GeForce 3 when I play @ 640x480 low quality with all advanced options turned off. I'm not kidding, I'm still having nightmares from when I first saw this xbox screenshot:

914444_20040505_screen004.jpg

While I agree its rather obvious the PC version is better, I don't believe you can judge a games looks from an early pre-release screen shot. Screen shots usually don't look close to as good as the real thing anyway. Like looking at a pic in a magazine. BTW, that goes for pretty much anything (PC or console).

Not nealy as good as the PC, but I'm sure DIII will look fine on the console... that is unless that team that did Riddick is a better Dev then ID, lol :p

If you look at any Xbox game you will notice the mip mapping and the textures have a much lower resolution than pc games. Just look at Halo on the Xbox then look at Halo on the PC. The first thing I notice when playing Xbox games is the mip mapping, it is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back