• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double whammy of a problem! Help needed..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Ok, so instead of posting a double post, I'll put it into two parts. I hope I get some answers, I have none at this point.

1. I've always used Afterburner to control my fan and freq's, and all was fine until about 2 days ago. I opened "Wattman" by accident, didn't do anything in there really, messed around a bit but then reset and left it alone. Yet now, no matter what I do in Afterburner, it doesn't stick. I put my freq up to 1500 from 1430, but when I click apply, it just goes down to 1430 again. And the fan will not go to 0 anymore, it's always on per Wattman settings, and you can't put it to 0 at any temp, minimum is 18% in that proggy.

I have figured out how to OC in wattman, so I'm doing that now, but man I want to go back, if for nothing else, to save my fan.

Funny thing is I've had this card now for over a year, the RX580, and always have the latest driver and software, and never had a problem. Now, even if I uninstall completely (through control panel uninstall and delete drivers), it just comes back the same way. It's like you can't completely uninstall it or something, and not installing the software but only installing the driver is not something I want to do since I've had it installed for a year with no problem.

2. This one is even more of a problem. I am playing Skyrim lately, every day hours with my wife, we love it. It's like the game can't decide what it wants to do. About 1/3rd of the time it does exactly what I want. It loads and I see FPS at 144 (I have a 144Hz monitor), then in the game it mostly locks at half that rate, 72FPS, and on occasion it goes below and most oft he time above that rate, perfect.

However, 2/3rds of the time it's ridiculous, it loads at like 30fps, then in the game it locks at 60FPS, and dips into the 30s, and that is just unacceptable. I have no idea what is going on, I have to just randomly stop the game, change the settings to high and play with the sliders, and if I get lucky, I get the 144FPS start with the 72FPS lock, but then if I exit and come back in with no changes, it reverts to the crappy 60fps with dips to low 30s.

This one I'm at my wits end with..

If anyone knows whats going on here please. I have just reverted to the 19.1 driver in the hopes to fix these two, but again Wattman is screwing with me, I haven't tried the game yet.

Current system is in my sig.

A couple things i can think of, when re-installing select "clean" install and when unintastalling restart in safemode and use DDU(display driver uninstaller) It'll pull out things that can be left behind like settings

Um, ok, I'll try that tomorrow.. But I do have an update about the Skyrim issue.

So when starting the game, it goes to 60fps and locks it there for some reason, and it drops to like 32fps sometimes when outside in the world. So by pure chance I had to get out of the game for a bit with alt-tab, and when I returned to the game, already loaded and all, the FPS went to 144fps inside houses and caves, with 90-120fps in the world, with an occasional dip to 60fps with action. So I know for a fact my PC is capable, and once this happens, I can play for hours and it stays this way, but when I restart the game, it's crap again. Really weird.

Back