• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Download excessive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

Ive been updating alot of my games recently on another computer of mine since it needs updates. like bf v updates, steam updates etc.....

its ALOT of mb's actually probably around 1-2 gb.

will my isp get suspicous of this and think im doing something im not suppose to?

basically im just getting them from ea games and steampowered and file planet places like that.

any ideas?

Well that is a lot of updates but as long as you are not doing anything illegal then you have nothing to fear. If they say something you can basically tell them to shove it and tell them if they bother you again that you'll switch to another provider that won't harrass their customers. If you are doing something illegal I think most ISP's will send you a letter in the mail about their Terms and Conditions. I download things all the time (i.e. more than 1-2 GB) and my ISP has never said anything.

yeah I would say they have no business with what you download, you pay for the bandwidth, you should be able to download whatever you want. If you did download something illegal its up to the licence owner of whatever that is to prosecute you, not the isp.

Zatrix said:
i just thought there was a limit somewhere?

like if someone was downloading 10gb's a day that would probably bother them?

I don't know about your isp but most broadband isps offer you say for example 1.5 mbps of bandwidth. You can never go faster than that. So the way that they impose a limit is by limiting how fast you can download, not how much. You can max out your connection all the time but its not going to bother them cause you can't go past that limit.

Now it might be different say for college students in dorms, I think some of the school ran isps might have limits. But for the most part any isp that you get hooked up at your own house isnt gonna care how much you download.

If you had a 1.5 Mbs connection and ran it at max for a month you could only download 463.5 GB (check my math). ISP's know that and they also know that 95% of their customers will never come close to that and that is how they make money. All the ISP's really care about is getting sued (I.E. you're doing something illegal) and that will cut into their profits. It's all about the money.

Yes there are some monthly limits imposed on cable internet providers. Comcast is one company that has used limits in the past. It was for how much bandiwdth they used per month and it is not set what the limit is. It is whoever downloads in the top 1 percent I believe. You should not be worried with just 2 gigs of downloads. Many of these people with Comcast have been exceeding 100 gigs per month. I do not know what the case is with other ISPs but that was Comcast's policy last winter. I believe they have relaxed it a little but I am not sure about that.

All I know is in my area, Comcast gives you unlimited bandwidth at 3.0Mbps/256Kbps. Since June I've been downloading various things over Bittorrent, I probably download 25-50GB's a month (including things on bit torrent, browsing, games, and other downloads). I haven't gotten any complaints from Comcast yet. Don't worry, 2GB's is nothing.

2gbs is absolutely nothing.

Go over to the www.dslreports.com forums. You'll find people not recieving letters even after downloading in excess of 300gbs per month. Again, this is completely dependant on your ISP and what they consider "residential usage" is.

As for Comcast, my ISP, they refuse to give out any sort of limit but do send out letters. People speculate that this limit is set at around 350 - 400gbs a month, and only then do you recieve a letter.

Good luck,
Ish

gustav said:
All I know is in my area, Comcast gives you unlimited bandwidth at 3.0Mbps/256Kbps. Since June I've been downloading various things over Bittorrent, I probably download 25-50GB's a month (including things on bit torrent, browsing, games, and other downloads). I haven't gotten any complaints from Comcast yet. Don't worry, 2GB's is nothing.

Yeah same here, I did like 17 gigs in one week, plus my server sent out a good 6-7 gigs that week too....and they have never said a thing, I don't think they care/monitor stuff like that.......the most I ever downloaded was like 20 some gigs in one day, since I got like 6 linux distros at once...lol :D In theory, a person could download about 29-30 gigs a day, and upload about 2-3 on comcast....doing that *might* get their attention....lol

Back