• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downloading tv shows legal???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdameron

I don't download anything illegally at all, nor do I wish to start. I also don't want to violate the code of conduct on this board. So, without further adeu:

A friend of mine told me that downloading episodes of TV shows is not illegal, like downloading copies of songs are. Is this right?

mdameron said:
I don't download anything illegally at all, nor do I wish to start. I also don't want to violate the code of conduct on this board. So, without further adeu:

A friend of mine told me that downloading episodes of TV shows is not illegal, like downloading copies of songs are. Is this right?
Wouldn't that be like recording tv shows on a VCR or DVR? In that case, it's legal unless you sell the shows to make a profit.

Howdy Denton neighbor!

No, he isn't right. It's illegal. It's the station's copyrighted material, unless it specifically said

"YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THIS!!"

Which it most likely didn't. Get a PVR.

Ah, a fellow dentonian! You go to UNT or anything?

On topic, I suppose you're right... but I don't wanna bark up the wrong tree or anything like the RIAA... Are there good sites or programs that one could use _legally_ to get episodes or maybe whole seasons of certain tv series?

EDIT @ NsOmNiA91130, what's a PVR?

Yes, I go to UNT.

I don't understand the difference between downloading a tv show and tape recording it on a VCR. That's not to say that it's right to download it. I'd continue with what you are doing and do some research before you click that "save as" button.

Because if you download it, you're getting it off of a public server, where more than one person will download it. That's redistributing, and if you read the FBI warning during the beginning of a DVD/movie, redistributing is illegal. Recording, however, is legal (Except in some cases, like movie theatres).

but isnt he taling about tv shows, not movies? i dont think they are the same, but im sure there are still copywright laws. I wouldnt do it if i were concerned bout legalities.

and is the streams on the net legal? wouldnt the stream providers need consent for the shows... ?

I don't think its legal, but one gets to thinking...how many people get arrested for downloading music...

It's illegal to download tv shows but it's legal to video tape them for personal use.

Just do this..

If your not sure something is legal just dont try it. Or make friends with someone who knows the law, like a cop or lawyer.

Like I always want to know what I can and can't do/mod my car. I used to try to look up whats legal and whats not but alot of that stuff is confusing. So I end up asking our good family friend who is a Sheriff, he tells me my answer in laymans terms. :)

Pretty much if there was an ad during the original broadcast, you will more than likely be be violating some law. The producer may want to sell the DVD version of the show, and if you already have it you may not want to buy his product anymore.

There is very little content that is aired on television that is not copywrited.

It depends. Content supplied by paid services is obviously illegal to download as that would cut into the profits, but for free content, that's not an issue. In most cases, it's OK to download free content. It may also depend on the area you're in. Besides, that may be the only option for SFF PCs without a free slot for a HDTV card.
BTW, I've heard that at one time, it's legal to download (but not upload) copyrighted music in Canada. I don't know if it still is.

I feel that for free content, they should abandon traditional broadcast in favor of Bittorrent and other P2P technology. It's a lot cheaper (almost free) to operate a Bittorrent tracker as compared to a TV station. Besides, it offers better integration with PCs.

Dell_Axim said:
It depends. Content supplied by paid services is obviously illegal to download as that would cut into the profits, but for free content, that's not an issue. In most cases, it's OK to download free content. It may also depend on the area you're in. Besides, that may be the only option for SFF PCs without a free slot for a HDTV card.
BTW, I've heard that at one time, it's legal to download (but not upload) copyrighted music in Canada. I don't know if it still is.

I feel that for free content, they should abandon traditional broadcast in favor of Bittorrent and other P2P technology. It's a lot cheaper (almost free) to operate a Bittorrent tracker as compared to a TV station. Besides, it offers better integration with PCs.

hmm that's a neat concept... maybe a few years in the future i'll have a kid asking me for the next episode of sesame street, and I'll just say "sure! let me just queue that one up with bittorrent on daddy's pc!"

Back