• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drain valve location help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperTuner12010

I have had my loop going for almost 2 years and every time I have had trouble draining as I never added a drain valve. Usually I will pull my block and pull one of the lines.

I am going to be doing maintenance again and want to add a valve in this time for future maintenance.

The best options I have for getting a drain valve at the bottom of the loop would be putting a 3 way, and then a drain on the out of my pump. Not sure if this would work ok or if the pump would impede the drainage.

The other option if viable would be too cut a hole below my radiator and connect a drain valve on one of the bottom ports of my radiator. Searched a bit and haven't seen or read of anyone doing it this way, it would be the furthest bottom of the loop but in and out are at the top which wouldn't allow the res to drain.

I'm guessing I will need to make further changes to the loop.

Maybe moving the out of the pump to one of the bottom ports of the radiator with a 90 and then putting a 3 way with a drain valve between it. That would allow the loop to drain both the rad and res easily.

What are your guys thought, what would you do?

Added two pictures, one overall view of the loop. Second is what I described that I could do.
IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0372-1.jpg

I think how you have it after the pump would work fine .

I have never ( in 13 + years water cooling) used a drain . Before I had a res I drained via my T-line and now I just pull the CPU block and pop a tube off . I drain my loop so infrequently that the extra work/cost/failure point just isn't worth it to me .

I've got a T line as a drain port. Got tired of pulling the block off and popping off one of the lines, then hold both the block and line into a bowl. Drain line makes it so easy now.

Right where you want it is perfect.

I agree with Neb and see if a T-line to a drain valve would work. The only issues I would think of is if you add too much to the end and it becomes a bit heavy. Don't want to add too much pressure to the fitting going out of the pump but if you do it right, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Back