• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

drie ice water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walldow

i'm currently useing an open loop water cooling system with a one gallon tea pitcher as a resivior. i use the tea pitcher for filling the system with ice! the intake is low as to keep the ice from getting sucked into the loop and the out put is up tword the top so the water passes through the ice! the set up is realy great. except when benching like 3dmark i have to fill the thing up like two or three times to get through the run, because the regular ice melting pretty quick.

anyway my question is would useing drie ice be a better alternative? as fare as the melting factor?

never used the stuff before and any info on it would be great full!

walldow said:
i'm currently useing an open loop water cooling system with a one gallon tea pitcher as a resivior. i use the tea pitcher for filling the system with ice! the intake is low as to keep the ice from getting sucked into the loop and the out put is up tword the top so the water passes through the ice! the set up is realy great. except when benching like 3dmark i have to fill the thing up like two or three times to get through the run, because the regular ice melting pretty quick.

anyway my question is would useing drie ice be a better alternative? as fare as the melting factor?

never used the stuff before and any info on it would be great full!

When you mix dry ice and water together, you get this great fog effect. It's great at halloween parties and stuff, probably would look good in your computer untill it fried...

But as for dry-ice cooling, I've seen something like that. It was really cool, I'll look for a picture. I believe the guy cracked his motherboard or soemthing when he was either installing it or just from the amazingly cold temps.

Re: Re: drie ice water cooling?

Yamiyanazz said:

When you mix dry ice and water together, you get this great fog effect. It's great at halloween parties and stuff, probably would look good in your computer untill it fried...

But as for dry-ice cooling, I've seen something like that. It was really cool, I'll look for a picture. I believe the guy cracked his motherboard or soemthing when he was either installing it or just from the amazingly cold temps.

as for the smoke effect ,the tea pitcher setts to the back (out side) of the case and i keep the side pannel on so that shouldnt be a problem. i just need to know how fast the stuff melts in water?

I'm pretty sure it'd melt considerably fast depending on the chunk of ice. Do a search on google for other people who have done the same thing. It'll be really expensive to maintain...that was the main complaint

dont bother with dry ice, if you place it in the pitcher you will get air bubble into your tubing and actually increase the temps. Now where I work I can take dry Ice home for free and I did place it on my radiator one time. got the temps very very low into the negatives. Well I found out that my water freezes, turns out my additive wasnt very good for antifreeze. now frozen water doesnt flow very well at all. now you could add some antifreeze and get rid of that problem, but if you buying dry ice it tends to melt very fast when not in a sealed area so it would get costly. also the condensation isnt too great either. my opinion its not worth it, maybe im a little new here but I think just redoing your setup that would cool better fulltime would be a better idea.

there is another way...
get a bucket of ice and some rock salt (pretty cheap) and mix them together and put ur radiator in it, the salt will lower the freezing point of the ice, will make it melt faster, but will freeze anything as low as -20c.
regular ice and water on the other hand can only go down to 0c, even though it doesn't freeze it retains the temp because its at the latent stage.

Adding Ice is just a way to suck energy (heat) out of your water to cool the cpu. If you are looking for something good to put in the water, look for something with a very high heat capacity. Ice works well because water has a pretty high heat capacity. There is also considerable energy absorbed during the transformation from Ice to water so this helps.

You might want to consider putting Ice packs in your system. You know those things with the mysterious blue fluid in them, for cooling coolers and lunches and such. You could get a few of them, and keep them in the freezer. A deep freeze would be best, as the colder you can get them the better they will work. Then you just rotate the Ice packs from your resevoir to the freezer and back. One Ice pack can cool your system, while the rest of them are cooled by the freezer, ready to go again.

Korndog said:
there is another way...
get a bucket of ice and some rock salt (pretty cheap) and mix them together and put ur radiator in it, the salt will lower the freezing point of the ice, will make it melt faster, but will freeze anything as low as -20c.
regular ice and water on the other hand can only go down to 0c, even though it doesn't freeze it retains the temp because its at the latent stage.

ChaChing!!

I've never seen anyone suggest that before, but it's a good idea. The same technique is used for making homemade icecream.... the only bad thing is that you could end up with salt deposits. Maybe it's not so good...

Hmmm... I wonder what is the best liquid additive is to reduce the freezing point of water.

umm... the cooler thing won't work all that well...

first of the cooler takes up 3.9 amps, while the powersupply you have listed can only provide 3....

The cooler itself is just a thermal electric cooler, so it just has a pelt inside it to cool it. It's only rated at 3.9 amps at 12 volts, so this is only about 45 watts. If you were to use this, it would lower your temps slightly, but not nearly as much as adding ice could. The cooler could cool your water while your computer was off, but as soon as you turn your computer on, the water is going to heat up.

Fire58Mech said:
LOL I gto the perfect thing here for yeah
http://www.thecellarstore.com/engel-15.html
get a converter
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=22-504

and put the water in and use it as the resivor. :D
good luck

that pelt powered cooler would not handle a load of constant heat. its designed to remove heat and keep heat out. it wouldn't even be sufficient for an overclocked high-end gpu.

i've seen other units that go up to as much as 10amps, they seem to work okey..

I was only jolking. I know it won't hanlde it or be that affective. But it is still possible with better parts.

thanks for the replys guys. as for my current settup, its fine i was just wanting to try and get that extra punch out of it! i'm getting a 625mhz overclock on my current setup. so i'm not complaining just wanted to know about the drie ice. i bet if i putt the drie ice in a plastic bag or some kind of container and the set it inside my resivior it might work? might give it a try! if i do i'll let you guys know.

thanks agian for the response!

Walldow-OC 3DMark Team!

If you put it in a bag, make sure it is NOT sealed. If it is, it will become a nice depth charge. Use a straw or something (or just a tall bag that can stay open above the water line) so it can vent. You may have already known that, but I just wanted to make sure.

:eek:

Frozen CO2 - dry ice - has the charming property of sublimating. In other words it doesn't go solid -> liquid -> gas.

It goes solid -> gas.

Like t_biggs said, good way to be picking stuff out of the walls for a while!

On the subject of wild and wonderful ways of cooling (literally) outside of the box, how's about this:

Take your water cooling radiator out of the PC box. Take off fan.

Get one of those garden 'seeper' hoses. Let the water seep down over the radiator. Find large fan (you just know you've a 120mm lurking around somewhere haven't you - hell what about a desk fan?). Blow through / across radiator.

Why the water dribbling down over the radiator? Coz the fan will help the water on the surface of the radiator evaporate. Evaporation is a cooling process. Hey presto, the radiator will be cooler than just with air alone.

As a demonstration, try putting your hand in front of the desk fan. Feels cool huh? Now wet your hand and do it again. Voila! The appliance of science! :p

Back