• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive dying or just slowing down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhatTheSchmidt

My raptor 74gig isn't performing like I remember. Main problem is that it's just about filled and my USB storage hd isn't suitable for programs obviously. Here is a HD tach of my raptor:

2rcxsns.jpg

I'm leaning towards getting a 500gb hard drive since SSD's are still a bit too expensive for the size. Thinking about a spinpoint F3 500gb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

I want good performance...but am kinda unsure what to do.

What do you guys think? and is my raptor really slow or what? I defragged it a week ago even.

are there new ssds coming soon?

I might try to hold out for a month and then grab a SSD....would like 100-120GB for about $150 if possible in the near future :p

That does seem VERY slow for a raptor... I don't have one but even my 3 year old 160GB WD got about 81mbps. My current one is up at 101mbps. I don't know =( Tried defragging? Error checking? Does it vibrate more than usual?

Just do a quick google search and you will find that 65MB/s is ok for a first generation SATA1 74GB Raptor. Don't forget how old the drives are now.

Back