• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drivers 22.11.2 killing GPUs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

He posted several pics of cracked cores on a Facebook link, apparently all the owners were using the same driver version, could this have anything to do with the cooler problem?

I'm skeptical that this may be BS. Why would 61 people with 6800 & 6900 series cards which have to be less than 3 years old (warranty period) send them to a component level repair shop instead of sending them in for RMA? Fishy.

Kenrou, the cooler hotspot problem is only with 7900 series reference design cards, not 6800/6900 series.

Looks like another youtuber is looking for attention/clicks. Just the first thought after seeing the topic ;)
The question about the warranty is also good. Unless they removed coolers and installed 3rd party cooling that could damage cores under too high pressure, then cards still have a warranty.
I have 2x 6800XT. Both were mining BTC for nearly a year. One runs almost 24/7 since the premiere. There are no problems with too high temps or anything else.

Sounds along the same lines as New World killing cards claim, only that was an actual defect.

Agreed with above, more likely the owners are doing something that'd void warranty and damaging the cards that way other than a driver.

What is the actual warranty on them? Particularly for Germany? If 2 years or less, then given they were released over 2 years ago, some would be going out of warranty now.

I do agree the driver "link" is a stretch at best. Don't most people keep to latest driver? I'd take it as almost a given. It's like blaming oxygen because all GPUs are exposed to air.

Don't most people keep to latest driver?
That's a good question. Personally, I don't upgrade every month/release. I'm typically a couple of versions behind, honestly. If it works, it works. I generally only upgrade if it's a new game (and required to work/perform), if I'm having problems, or remember to do it. With a 4090, I'm currently running 527.37. I guess that puts me at least two versions and 1.5 months behind?

EDIT: But yes, never too far behind... :)

Last edited:
I don't upgrade to the latest driver either (had some really bad experiences from it in the past), usually it's the last driver from every "generation" that's the fastest/most stable... Hell, I'm still on 526.86 😅

But stands to reason that most people don't care about it and just choose to complain later when the driver doesn't install properly because windows update will be windows update 😋

What is the actual warranty on them? Particularly for Germany?
The warranty is 3 years in the US. What's the warranty period in the UK? Woomack can tell us the warranty in Poland. I don't know any members here living in Germany.

I think Im on 11.8 or 11.9. I don't update on every release either. My last update was for a F@H fix.

What is the actual warranty on them? Particularly for Germany? If 2 years or less, then given they were released over 2 years ago, some would be going out of warranty now.

I do agree the driver "link" is a stretch at best. Don't most people keep to latest driver? I'd take it as almost a given. It's like blaming oxygen because all GPUs are exposed to air.

Germany has the same warranty as all other countries. For all leading brands, it's 3 years (graphics cards). They only don't have a lifetime limited warranty, as they have 10 years instead (in the case of RAM). Sometimes I'm buying hardware from Caseking DE or Amazon DE or other stores.

Ok, a warranty of 3 years would torpedo the "out of warranty" theory then. Does it imply these GPUs for whatever reason don't have valid warranty?

Warranty durations aren't as clear as I'd hope. I just tried to check my MSI 3070. Can't find an official MSI statement anywhere on the UK warranty. Original seller site does list 36 months. Tried to register it on MSI site. All was fine until it asked me for a code from a sticker on the GPU. Erm, I'm not extracting it just to do that! No, it wasn't on the box stickers. Maybe next time I do a build I'll photo every sticker on every component.

Back on drivers, maybe it is just me. I'm a bit obsessive with notifications. Let it do the update and move on. I personally haven't had problems with nvidia drivers in a very long time so I don't fear letting it update regularly.

Can't find an official MSI statement anywhere on the UK warranty.

Would that help? Put the product in, spits out warranty info.

Would that help? Put the product in, spits out warranty info.
I failed to find that specific feature earlier. It might help if it worked. "The online version is not yet available, please refer to the physical warranty manual or log in to the member center to register and confirm the warranty information."
Looked in box for warranty booklet. Can't see one. Just various install guides and advert for their monitor range.

It did bug me that the 7000XT/x cards have those vapor chamber issues.
But this is basically slandering the 6000 series which at worst had some driver issues mostly Chromium issues actually which I think is on both a bit since Firefox does not have these issues.

Also regarding chrome/chromium issues turn off hardware acceleration and those issues will stop.
Its time they worked with AMD to fix those issues though.

Also I have theory's of cracked cores - I've literally seen people Dishwash everything electronics. I seen a video of people pressure washing Mining hardware. Now add that + shipping in -0*C who the hell knows what could have went wrong here.

Back