• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drunken overclocking is a bad idea, as if that wasn't obvious...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BasqueMaster

Hi friends,
So here's my story, and I hope someone can help me. I have an Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-x and while other than a very short stint when I first bought it have been ruining her at stock speeds of 1030 clock for the gpu and 1400 for the ram. For the heck of it I decided it was time to push the limits and see what this baby could handle last night and in the process of inching my way towards the max, whilst inebriating myself in the process. I got it all the up to a stable 1200 gpu clock and a whopping 1675 mhz memory clock with the voltage all out. Now don't ask me cause I can't logically surmise where my brain was on this but for some reason I decided to give her a big push over the edge and try out 1750 as my next step. Low and behold that was too much for my baby to handle the screen started to flicker in Heaven, I shut that down and when the whole screen went black shut down the whole system. Upon restarting after a min to cool down, screens on through post and even window starts with the logo and spinning loading wheel of balls, but when it tries to let Windows take control I get nothing but a blank screen. I haven't spent a huge amount of time trying to fix this yet but I'm worried. I switched out the graphics card and was able to get into Windows and uninstall the overclocking utility then swapped it back in with the same result. That was my ace in the hole if you will and it failed, next step is to reinstall crimson and hope that's enough. I was writing this as much as a warning and as a cry for help cause I really don't want my baby to have died on me, she's been so good to me for the last couple of years and I would hate to see her go thanks to a drunken mistake. Input would be greatly appreciated thanks for reading.

BasqueMaster

Asus Crosshair-V Formula-Z
AMD-FX 8320 @4.5Ghz
EVGA 2400Mhz ram
Sapphire R9 290 Currently in distress
PNY 240GB SSD

:welcome:

This may or may not be pertinent, but did you do all the next steps while still tipsy (i assume the screen going black might have sobered you up some) : "I switched out the graphics card and was able to get into Windows and uninstall the overclocking utility then swapped it back in with the same result." If so, might you have skipped a step or done it wrong ? have you tried to enter Windows safe mode to troubleshoot ?

Does that card have a bios switch? If so I would try the other position

"Drunken overclocking is a bad idea, as if that wasn't obvious... "

MY GAWD!!!! where's the ban hammer!!!!!
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO OVERCLOCK!!!!!!

Yea overclocking AMD 290's while sober is enough of a pain as it is.

I've had this same issue lots of times sometimes just installing driver's.

Hit F8 while booting to get to safe mode.

Boot to safe mode and run driver sweeper catalist control center doesnt start up in safemode.

You cant uninstall most things in safe mode but you can delete the files of the OC tool and stop it from booting.

You will need to uninstall the driver to get overdrive to stop setting the clock to that clock in normal startup.

Its really quite a pain , even without overdrive activated it can sometimes lock clocks you have set in OC tools.

Word of advice when ocing , Do not set the tool to start with windows and set clocks automatically until you have a known good
working overclock because thats what happens , you start the pc it sets the clock before you can do anything its locked up or black screened out

Thank you for all responding. I did finally fix it by wiping the drivers and reinstalling them. It was so much easier when sober, surprise surprise.

hey been there done that, wasted a couple lbs of dice while sitting there trying to get my system to post. had a mem setting wrong, by this point i has quite a few beers deep and smashed a stick of ram in the wrong way. made some pretty sparks, everything lived though.

"Drunken overclocking is a bad idea, as if that wasn't obvious... "

MY GAWD!!!! where's the ban hammer!!!!!
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO OVERCLOCK!!!!!!

Having been out of town for a couple weeks, I perused the forum this morning and saw this thread title. I immediately thought to myself "CD has gotta be in here somewhere". LOl

I have learned that when clocking, drink bourbon, more water in bourdon and the big djjin of fire does not like water.
spill your everclear down that thing and the big djjin of fire comes right on out, and he is one UNHAPPY fella, I"ll tell you.

I was drunk once and tried to build a computer with my friend. Apparently, you can destroy the push pins on a stock intel cooler. Besides that, it worked out, and the computer fired up, but it taught me a valuable lesson. The only thing I do drunk is videogames now.

I remember proudly finishing a build (and a few shots) and turning it on. Next I remembered that I was still holding the HSF.

Back