• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry ice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Watch out carbon dioxide is a little corrosive. And, if any water vapor gets in there, you'll get Carbonic Acid. H2Co3. That's the stuff that makes soda fizzy.

steve

you can run it with a normal waterblock too - if you have a safe disposal for the dry ice. You'll need a LOT though. But can you even get it liquid without tons of pressure?

It'll work well for passive cooling - just have an air-tight duct going from the source to the disposal with the heatsink in the way. :D

Could even run passive!

If you have access to it, you can make one he11 of a water cooled system, as long as you can find a suitable coolant. You need something that won't get thick, or even freeze solid, while getting that cold. I can think of one, but it's a little dangerous, but it's kinda cheap for a coolant. I'm not recommending it, but it's gasoline.

steve

I would have to say that the risks are too high to be messing with dry ice. Put it in a liquid and it just boils away quickly. Also, you can get a severe case of frost-bite from mishandling it. And like big-bertha says, don't suffocate yourself. If you mess with it, make sure your room is well ventilated. :eek:

Mark Larson said:
you can run it with a normal waterblock too - if you have a safe disposal for the dry ice. You'll need a LOT though. But can you even get it liquid without tons of pressure?

It'll work well for passive cooling - just have an air-tight duct going from the source to the disposal with the heatsink in the way. :D

Could even run passive!

sorry there's no chance of that carbon dioxide has no liquid form the only sublimating material known to man(or me)

You should probably make some kind of a tray that would touch the die directly. Also, have the dry ice evaporate out of wherever youre doing this from. Too much CO2 in the air can be dangerous.

Pip, carbon dioxide is liquid, at room temps while under pressure. the stuff in fire extinguishers is liquid co2. In fact, if you can get a co2 bottle with a dip tube, it will shoot out a stream of liquid co2 out, and it turns to dry ice in about 1/2 inch.

But you're right, it won't exist as a liquid at normal atm. pressures.

steve

if u put a little chunk in your mouth and swish it around u can blow smoke. People have made like little metal cups that they mount on their chip and put dry ice pellets and some liquid, i forget what, and they got good overclocks, but its not a day to day sort of thing. And btw liquid co2 does not freeze when sprayed out, even w/ a dip tube. It just evaporates.

The insanely rich use multi stage phase change cooling systems :)

How about if someone were to make a duct to the cpu using a standard HSF. The dry ice would be placed somewhere, or even outside, of the case and the cold air from the dry ice would be blown on the heat sink. How much does dry ice cost?

Back