• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL Problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0mega

Registered
Hi Guys,

Every day around the same time, my connect light goes out on my dsl modem... Is there a universal ip to login to dsl modems to see settings? I don't know what is wrong with it and it's very frustrating going link dead in middle of raids.... :bang head

Thanks..

:welcome: to the forums!

Is the modem connected by USB or Ethernet? Find out what your IP address is if its ethernet and see if replacing the last section with 1 works.

For example, my PC is 192.168.0.2. My router is 192.168.0.1 so i put 192.168.0.1 in my address bar to view router settings :).

Thanks!

It is connected via ethernet... I have my wrt54g set for 192.168.8.1... I dont think it is my router though because it is the dsl modem's connect light that goes out every day around the same time and then the router hangs... So I do a hard reset on both and sometimes it comes back right away, other times not... So I was wondering if dsl modems had ip addresses so I could get in there to see if i could tweak some settings... being in a small town in germany doesn't help either so maybe its just noise? /shrug

i can get into my router fine but there's the setting connect on demand or something like that or is it keep alive setting? And then there's a number in seconds that is in there.... What is that all about? I don't think that has anything to do with my modem connect light going out though... =(

0mega said:
Thanks!

It is connected via ethernet... I have my wrt54g set for 192.168.8.1... I dont think it is my router though because it is the dsl modem's connect light that goes out every day around the same time and then the router hangs... So I do a hard reset on both and sometimes it comes back right away, other times not... So I was wondering if dsl modems had ip addresses so I could get in there to see if i could tweak some settings... being in a small town in germany doesn't help either so maybe its just noise? /shrug

i can get into my router fine but there's the setting connect on demand or something like that or is it keep alive setting? And then there's a number in seconds that is in there.... What is that all about? I don't think that has anything to do with my modem connect light going out though... =(

Yes the keep alive may be the issue. Set the keep alive time in seconds to a really high number like 1000000 which will effectively stop it disconnecting when its not being used. See if that helps.

Cool! I will try that. Just curious... How does that effect the connect light on the modem from going on and off? The connect light on the modem goes to the dsl company i thought... because if the router is disconnected, the connect light still comes on... I will give it a shot though. I had it set to the lowest number. Thanks.

Alright... there's 2 different settings... connect on demand with a range of 20-180 sec and keep alive with the same range.. i put it to keep alive @ 180 sec... hope it helps me.... this is really annoying. thanks for the help.

0mega said:
Cool! I will try that. Just curious... How does that effect the connect light on the modem from going on and off? The connect light on the modem goes to the dsl company i thought... because if the router is disconnected, the connect light still comes on... I will give it a shot though. I had it set to the lowest number. Thanks.

If the router tells the modem to disconnect then of course the connect light will go off ;-)

0mega said:
Hi Guys,

Every day around the same time, my connect light goes out on my dsl modem... Is there a universal ip to login to dsl modems to see settings? I don't know what is wrong with it and it's very frustrating going link dead in middle of raids.... :bang head

Thanks..

what did you expect, it's dsl. :rolleyes:

Call your ISP. You wil not know if it is a problem with the modem or on their end unless you call and get them to check it out.

Back