• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 2011 vs dual 1366 setup: video rendering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjayviper

Registered
I have a dual 2011 (2650L V1. 8 [email protected]) on its way. I got the setup for around $400 be including 64GB RAM.

but I have an opportunity to buy a dual 1366 setup (E5645 6 [email protected]) for less $100. This includes 48GB RAM.

Is there a significant performance advantage of the 2011 setup? I know that the newer CPU has AVX which might help.

I've looked at comparisons but nothing really specific to video rendering. Thanks

:welcome:
I'm probably looking at the same comparisons you are. There is not much different between the two. The E5-2650 has more memory bandwidth, cache and an instruction set that the other doesn't have. Based on that and looking at the graphs overall, they are so close that you probably wouldn't notice the difference between them.

Both are based on socket designs that are out of date. Both are difficult to find replacements should they fail.

:welcome:
I'm probably looking at the same comparisons you are. There is not much different between the two. The E5-2650 has more memory bandwidth, cache and an instruction set that the other doesn't have. Based on that and looking at the graphs overall, they are so close that you probably wouldn't notice the difference between them.

Both are based on socket designs that are out of date. Both are difficult to find replacements should they fail.

At least at the moment CPU replacements are incredibly easy to find on ebay (less than $20/ea for a hexcore S1366 xeon, for example). Motherboards from supermicro,etc are also generally pretty cheap (~$100 for a dual-socket board). RAM can be expensive depending on the density desired.

Back