• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot, with windows 8 already installed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hshah510

Registered
I have windows 8 pro installed, now i have windows 7 ultimate and would like to install it, having read other forums i have realised i shoud have installed windows 7 first, but still what can i do now to install windows 7

first of all, you've given no information on your system re: your drives (how many you have, SSD's or HDD's), and your current partition's. That being said...

You have to partition your drive (shrink your current partition or create a partition on a second HDD), either through disk management or the command line, then install Windows 7 to the second partition.

Sorry about that,

I have a 1Tb Cavair Black WD HDD about 175GB has been partitioned for windows 8. And one SSD (corsair) -128GB in which i will be installing windows 7, when i figure out how to. The rest of the space on the HDD I will use to store Media and other large files.

That being said i have already partitioned it. I have an Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard.

So can anyone give me a few step by step instructions to install windows 7 now?

Thanks, please tell me if you need any more information! :)

Since you're planning on installing Windows 7 to your SSD, simply throw in your install disk and when it asks you where you would like to install Windows, choose the SSD. If the SSD is still a RAW unpartitioned drive, hit the advanced option and create a new partiton using the entire SSD and then proceed with the install.

So i simply press install the DVD while Windows 8 is running and when i startup it will ask me which i want to log on to?

I am succesfully running both operating systems however one last question when it gives me the dual boot options, to let me choose which OS i want to boot to it gives me the windows 7 dual boot layout, is there any way to get the windows 8 dual boot layout screen as it does look much better according to me?

No, you're not supposed to run the installer from within Windows 8. You are supposed to boot to the disk and install from there. Did you install Windows 7 to the SSD?

I think, to use the Win 8 boot layout, you would have to use the Win 8 DVD and do a repair of the boot loader. I forget what it's called.

EDIT: I just looked it up and it looks like you need run the command prompt from within Windows 8 and type this command

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

You might have to run the command prompt as an Administrator to run this command though.

Last edited:
I am successfully running both operating systems however one last question when it gives me the dual boot options, to let me choose which OS i want to boot to it gives me the windows 7 dual boot layout, is there any way to get the windows 8 dual boot layout screen as it does look much better according to me?

I keep pressing keyboard arrows to switch to another OS immediately after powering on the computer. But it's easier to use this to switch the default OS from inside Windows.

EasyBCD

http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1
[Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Attachments

• EasyBCD.png
    EasyBCD.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 74
Back