• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual CPUs...muahaha

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capitalfear

Registered
For my next motherboard I am looking at getting something that provides...more "oomph" if you will...than I will ever need. I want a Dual Socket Mobo. AMD, because I am a fanboy, and the ability to support OC'ing and dual gfx cards and YUM! sorry...Anyways. I looked around on the net and realised Google only helps those who help themselves.

I have no idea what I'm looking for...any guidance? Thanks :comp:

Interlagos are the chips you want - two or four of them. I don't know about overclocking options. Have a look in the folding@home section, they're popular there.

Interlagos are the chips you want - two or four of them. I don't know about overclocking options. Have a look in the folding@home section, they're popular there.

I mean what mobo do I need.

Yea, I seen a mobo called like the...as2? I think. I'll have to check up on it.

The MoBo you saw was the EVGA SR-2.

Thats an Intel Xeon board... And a mighty nice one.

Aside from that... I have no idea what MoBo you should be looking at for the AMD stuff.

Good luck! :)

The only AMD dual processor motherboards I know of are either server motherboards or the old Quad FX, which I believe was pretty much a failure.

Oh, ok. And yes Convicted1 you're right about the MOBO. I just wondered if there was an AMD equivalent to that.

Not really but I really feel like there should be. There is one dual G34 board that has a few miniscule overclocking options but Ill need to look it back up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643

Thats the only one Ive seen around that has plenty of pci-e x16 slots on it. Overclocking options are lacking so your going to be working with software to do it.

most of the boards you find like the one posted above aren't geared towards the overclocking crowd so in that aspect they will have limited if any overclocking options.

get one of the evga SR-2 boards and have fun.

I would wait for the SR3 but then your going to be shelling out some serious cahsola for one. You could probably get an SR2 + chips for a fair price once the SR3 drops.

that would be nice i agree, something like dual phenomIIx4. I had a friend wanting to do the same thing few month ago and I didnt really see anything that great. thing for him tho was he didnt really have a computer(old P3) and ur runnin quad core already. GL
thinking for my next build those AM3+ FX8150 8core chips look nice with a CHV

Pick two... seriously... you'll only get two of those together ;)

Yup...
Or simply switch the AMD part to Intel and do an SR-2 build or an SR-X build (If EVGA ever releases it). Costs are going to skyrocket with the switch though.

You realize the SR2 is dual 1366 Xeons right? Dinosaur platform. You could likely outdo the mean performance of one of those systems with a 3960X on an X79 board. So many things the 1366 chipset is such a dinosaur at. Still uses a Northbridge, PCIE gen 2, Sata 6gbps not even on chipset. It's a 2008 chipset. Why would you want to build on something 4 years old just to get dual CPU? When you can likely meet/beat it with a single top end current cpu?

Pick two... seriously... you'll only get two of those together ;)

I want AMD, because I am a fanboy

• a Dual Socket Mobo
  • support OC'ing
  • dual gfx cards
Yup...
Or simply switch the AMD part to Intel and do an SR-2 build or an SR-X build (If EVGA ever releases it). Costs are going to skyrocket with the switch though.

Yes, that was part of my analysis Seebs :) My list was switched up a bit (fixed it). If you want AMD, you can have all three of those: Dual socket, OC support, and SLI/CFX... just not on the same system. Run through the possibilities in your head... it just doesn't exist. Switch to Intel and you can... but it's an aging system, and definitely not worth it as it's getting curb stomped by current single CPU systems as Theocnoob was referring too. But who would want to switch to Intel? They've almost succeeded in removing all the fun out of Overclocking.

haha I WANT IT ALL!!! :grouphug:

Of course you do, but you just can't have it :) :fight:

do water blocks even fit g34 sockets? how are you going to overclock if they don't

I have the answer to your quest, although I don't know how well you'll be able to overclock it. I've had one for years, it's an ASUS A7M266-D. it uses two AMD Athlon MP cpu's, Socket A (462). it was marketed as an entry level server. Funny you posted this. i was just looking at it the other day

Back