• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Monitor Setup with a SINGLE HDMI port from laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Is this possible? The only port my laptop has is a single HDMI. Also, if possible would the 2nd monitor NOT be a clone of the first monitor?? I'm using Windows 10. I know with basic splitters, you end up with dual monitors showing the same thing, that's of no use to me.

Yes they make multidisplay expanders. They go by several names. Basically all it does is act like a double resolution screen and split the video signal to the separate screens.

Yes they make multidisplay expanders. They go by several names. Basically all it does is act like a double resolution screen and split the video signal to the separate screens.

I'm not sure what you mean.

The monitor I was thinking of getting has a native and max resolution of 2560 x 1440 resolution. Does that mean if I run 2 monitors (same type of course) off my a single HDMI port from laptop, each monitor would only have a resolution of 1280x720 each, but be one "single" screen? This is important because I need 2560x1440 in each monitor.

How do I find one? Each time I look for HDMI single port, dual monitor, all I get is "No this can't be done, all you will get is 2 monitors showing the exact same thing".....

Last edited:
You will need an adapter to run HDMI like this. Displayport 1.2 can run this natively with the proper monitor configuration however.

I have a notebook with W10 and one HDMI out. With one external monitor I run an extended desktop (not mirrored) and two separate slide shows for backgrounds. Whether or not you can run three displays (counting the laptop) will be up to your graphics solution.

I have a notebook with W10 and one HDMI out. With one external monitor I run an extended desktop (not mirrored) and two separate slide shows for backgrounds. Whether or not you can run three displays (counting the laptop) will be up to your graphics solution.

Could you do this with dual monitors, not using your laptop screen?

Yup. My limits are imposed by the Intel IGP's resolution capability. If I move my desktop to one of the external monitors and turn off the notebook display I can add another monitor.

BTW Viper, with that adapter I linked you can add as many monitors as you have USB ports (of course you need an adapter for each one). Als I have used one before and it works quite well.

Yup. My limits are imposed by the Intel IGP's resolution capability. If I move my desktop to one of the external monitors and turn off the notebook display I can add another monitor.

In my case I’d close the laptop and just use the dual monitors. My laptop has a small screen, I need a larger screen/s.

Curious how would you set this up, using the box that Kyfire recommends?

In my case I’d close the laptop and just use the dual monitors. My laptop has a small screen, I need a larger screen/s.

Curious how would you set this up, using the box that Kyfire recommends?

The Diamond Mulimedia BVU 3500 uses it's own driver that you install. Like I said I've used one before and it does work very good

If you intend to close the laptop, make sure you go in to your Windows power settings and check 'Do Nothing' next to 'Close Lid' on your button settings!

If you intend to close the laptop, make sure you go in to your Windows power settings and check 'Do Nothing' next to 'Close Lid' on your button settings!

Thanks I didn't know that.

I checked the laptop. Aside from USB3.0 ports, it has a mini-display port as well. Could that be used as well for the 2nd monitor? If so, I suspect an adaptor would be needed. I don't know anything about mini-display ports, never had to use one.

Here's the link to the computers specs, says the computer supports dual monitors via a docking station. Unsure if a docking station is required however. I know from doing searching a moment ago specific for this model laptop Dell Lati. E7240 it supports at least 2 monitors.

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals...7916a5-f1d3-44b2-82b7-f14374bb9a73&lang=en-us

Last edited:
The Diamond Mulimedia BVU 3500 uses it's own driver that you install. Like I said I've used one before and it does work very good

Thanks again for your help. I couldn't see much info when I was on a small screen. Now that I'm on a PC I'll have to pass on this unit though. The monitor I'm getting has 2560 x 1440 resolution, this device doesn't support resolution quite that high. Looks cool though!

Your laptop doesn't support 2560x1440, either.

Whoa..thanks a lot!!!!! I thought for sure it did. Where did you learn this? I saw your other post. I don't have an AMD product in this computer however. In device manager under Display Adapters it reads Intel HD Graphics Family. When I right click and select "Graphics Properties", an Intel HD Graphics Control Panel appears. There's no AMD in here at all.

The laptop is running Win 10.

The laptop I have has a HD 4400, the resolution info I found below at this site.

Let me know what you think.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/Video-Card/Integrated-Intel-Mobile-HD-Graphics-4400-9892

Of course then I found this, so confusing

http://www.overclock.net/t/1546453/max-supported-resolution-intel-hd-graphics-4400

Last edited:
Back