• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Monitor Setup with a SINGLE HDMI port from laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nothing in Device Manager under display adapters?

Doesn't matter.

Both 8690m and HD4400 can display true 4k via hdmi and normal 4k via DP. If its made in the past 5 years or so, it can display 4k natively; I cant think of an exception.

Nothing in Device Manager under display adapters?

Yes there is something as I mentioned before it reads Intel, see my post earlier.

CPU-Z also provided the vid info as Intel Graphics family, not AMD.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter.

Both 8690m and HD4400 can display true 4k via hdmi and normal 4k via DP. If its made in the past 5 years or so, it can display 4k natively; I cant think of an exception.

Really? I read for HDMI to work with a monitor with native 2560x1440 I would need to make a custom profile in the Intel graphics software. That it’s not just plug and play.

I can’t find a single official Intel document to provide the official info. I’m looking for.

One forum had a guy asking this same question 3 said yes, one guy said they were all wrong, neither had supporting documentation.

Seems the only solution I know of is to bring the laptop into Bestbuy and try it out, this is crazy in the age of information hah.

Also read mini display port can do the above resolution as a plug n play.

Last edited:
I checked my laptops CPU as well. Windows system says I’m running a Intel Core i7-4600 CPU, 2 cores with 4 processors.

I downloaded Intel’s CPU identification utility and it reported the laptop has a Intel Core(TM) i7-4600U CPU @ 2.1 GHz.

System Graphics also reported as Intel HD Graphics 4400

Last edited:
Really? I read for HDMI to work with a monitor with native 2560x1440 I would need to make a custom profile in the Intel graphics software. That it’s not just plug and play.

I can’t find a single official Intel document to provide the official info. I’m looking for.

One forum had a guy asking this same question 3 said yes, one guy said they were all wrong, neither had supporting documentation.

Seems the only solution I know of is to bring the laptop into Bestbuy and try it out, this is crazy in the age of information hah.

Also read mini display port can do the above resolution as a plug n play.

Your cpu has the same graphics that my i7 had. It will work with a 1440p display just fine. What you MIGHT be getting information on is based on old hdmi standards. Its a bitrate problem. resolution x hz = bitrate. HMDI 1 standard is like 150mhz. 1920p @ 60 hz = 124mhz. 1440p @ 60 is 224mhz and will be beyond the bitrate of hdmi 1 (this is normally a DVI issue with higher refresh monitors) . I know for a fact and first hand, 1440p monitors work just fine with hd4000 graphics. To get around the bitrate issue, the "custom resolution" would be simply lowering the refresh rate to get it below 150mhz. As well, ALL VERSIONS of display port can display 1440p @ 60hz.

HDMI 2.0 came out in 2013, your laptop is from late 2014. At worst it has hdmi 1.3, which was released in 2009, and STILL can natively support 1440p @ 60 hz.

You can plug one monitor into your hdmi, and one into your display port. This WILL work unless your ports are fried for whatever reason.

Your cpu has the same graphics that my i7 had. It will work with a 1440p display just fine. What you MIGHT be getting information on is based on old hdmi standards. Its a bitrate problem. resolution x hz = bitrate. HMDI 1 standard is like 150mhz. 1920p @ 60 hz = 124mhz. 1440p @ 60 is 224mhz and will be beyond the bitrate of hdmi 1 (this is normally a DVI issue with higher refresh monitors) . I know for a fact and first hand, 1440p monitors work just fine with hd4000 graphics. To get around the bitrate issue, the "custom resolution" would be simply lowering the refresh rate to get it below 150mhz. As well, ALL VERSIONS of display port can display 1440p @ 60hz.

HDMI 2.0 came out in 2013, your laptop is from late 2014. At worst it has hdmi 1.3, which was released in 2009, and STILL can natively support 1440p @ 60 hz.

You can plug one monitor into your hdmi, and one into your display port. This WILL work unless your ports are fried for whatever reason.

Thanks a lot for the info.

How would one be able to learn which HDMI standard is in the computer? I’m just curious on this.

I wish I hadn’t cancelled my order on those monitors after reading one of the earlier replies. Next time I will dig into my system more before purchasing a peripheral !

Thanks a lot for the info.

How would one be able to learn which HDMI standard is in the computer? I’m just curious on this.

I wish I hadn’t cancelled my order on those monitors after reading one of the earlier replies. Next time I will dig into my system more before purchasing a peripheral !

Im not exactly sure how to tell what hdmi standard it has. I would assume hdmi 2.0; but 1.3 isn't completely out of the question. Either way, it doesn't matter.

So do you think I can run dual 1440p monitors (not mirroring mind you, the monitors can't be 2 identical desktops, that's useful for my needs) without creating a custom profile off my laptop?

The monitors just went on sale again, so I'm curious. Might get two.

Last edited:
What's the monitor model number? Then we can compare that with the laptop.

But generally if the laptop has a port and the monitor has a port and you can plug it in, it will work as long as the cable is good. I've noticed cables are a lot more finicky than back in the analog days of vga, but when they work, they work well.

Get a new HDMI cable and a new DP cable and plug one into each monitor and I think you should be set.

Back