• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Monitors with Laptop-- Only One Monitor Provides Sound-- Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

This is my first time setting up dual monitors. I'll provide as much as I know.

Laptop: Dell Latitude Model E7240 >> http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...-ultrabook-e7240/spd/latitude-e7240-ultrabook

Connected to identical Viewsonic VX2478-smhd displays.

I'm running Win10 64bit.

The left monitor (#2 according to Win10) is connected by the mini-display port from monitor and into the mini-display port of the laptop.

The right monitor (#3 according to Win10) is connected by the HDMI port from the monitor, and into the laptop's HDMI port.

Monitor 1 is the laptop, I keep it closed.

When I open FF and play a video from YouTube, or some video from a newsite, regardless of where the browser is located, (#2 or #3), I only hear sound from the monitor on the right w/the HDMI cable.

I thought mini-DP port/cables can carrier audio....am I wrong on this?

I'd appreciate any help/guidance on this one.

Thanks in advance

Have you gone into the Sound Control Panel and changed the default device? Usually sound will go to one of the outputs by default and you need to change it yourself to the other if thats what you want it to do. I have 2x DisplayPort monitors and depending on what one I turn on first, it will switch audio between them, which for me is a PITA as I want to use my headphones instead. The only way I have found to force always to one output is disable the others in the sound control panel other than the one you want to use.

They can carry Audio, but you have one source and one destination for the audio per your windows mixer settings. Having multiple monitors isn't like having a receiver with surround sound speakers.

They can carry Audio, but you have one source and one destination for the audio per your windows mixer settings. Having multiple monitors isn't like having a receiver with surround sound speakers.

Thanks, didn't know this. How does one, or can one, push the sound to both monitors?

- - - Updated - - -

Have you gone into the Sound Control Panel and changed the default device? Usually sound will go to one of the outputs by default and you need to change it yourself to the other if thats what you want it to do. I have 2x DisplayPort monitors and depending on what one I turn on first, it will switch audio between them, which for me is a PITA as I want to use my headphones instead. The only way I have found to force always to one output is disable the others in the sound control panel other than the one you want to use.

I haven't changed anything in my sound control panel. I turned on the laptop today, and then the monitor with the miniDP port connection, and no sound comes from it. I haven't turned on the HDMI monitor yet, but I'm sure sound will be there as it was yesterday, hence my post.

If both monitors have display port capability why don't you just daisy chain them together and use only the display port on the laptop?

Thanks, didn't know this. How does one, or can one, push the sound to both monitors?

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't changed anything in my sound control panel. I turned on the laptop today, and then the monitor with the miniDP port connection, and no sound comes from it. I haven't turned on the HDMI monitor yet, but I'm sure sound will be there as it was yesterday, hence my post.

I'm not aware of any way to do that with out some sort of duplicator/splitter for the signal. Each of those are an individual audio device in your sound settings, you can't select multiple.

I'm not aware of any way to do that with out some sort of duplicator/splitter for the signal. Each of those are an individual audio device in your sound settings, you can't select multiple.

I see. I looked in my laptops sound section software, and the speaker icon in sys tray. Unfortunately it seems I can only pick one of the 3 as the source of sound, laptop or one of the 2 monitors. Def. not like a stereo hahaa...Thanks guys!

I see. I looked in my laptops sound section software, and the speaker icon in sys tray. Unfortunately it seems I can only pick one of the 3 as the source of sound, laptop or one of the 2 monitors. Def. not like a stereo hahaa...Thanks guys!

I feel your pain. However, you CAN use both monitors IF the program your using allows you to select an output audio. I have my Game outputting to my speakers, and my VOIP outputting though my headset. This clears up the audio quality produced by reducing the load on the drivers for the speakers. Mainly to preserve the base reproduction.

However, without some 3rd party software fudging, using both monitor speakers to create a "poor mans 4.0 surround sound system" isnt possible without rewiring the speakers.

Back