• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with dual 4K monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I recently bought two 4K monitors with thge hopes of having a nice dual-monitor setup. Each monitor has 1 displayport and 2 HDMI ports. At first I had each monitor connected to the GPU via DP cable, but I would have daily problems with this, such as one monitor not turning on after the computer comes out of hibernation or sleep. Then I tried daisy-chaining the monitors using a DP cable to the GPU, and aan HDMI cable from the first monitor to the 2nd. The 2nd monitor isnt being recognized, and I was wondering if I can daisy-chain with DP and HDMI, or do the cables have to be the same, or do I need an adapter of some sorts? What would be the best way to connect these monitors, and not have daily problems like I had when both were connected to the GPU?

Asus VP28UQG monitors

Last edited:
Well.. I don't think you can daisy chain those as your monitor has inputs and not pass-throughs. In other words, the ports are taking in and not sending signals out/through them.

As far as the DP to each from the GPU, did you try to reinstall drivers or update them (or rollback)? Adjust things in the NVCP?

Well.. I don't think you can daisy chain those as your monitor has inputs and not pass-throughs. In other words, the ports are taking in and not sending signals out/through them.

As far as the DP to each from the GPU, did you try to reinstall drivers or update them (or rollback)? Adjust things in the NVCP?

Yes, I tried every day it seems. I didnt try uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Also, maybe the DP cable was defective. Should it be as simple as connecting each monitor via displayport to the GPU and configuring it through the NVCP?

Should it be as simple as connecting each monitor via displayport to the GPU and configuring it through the NVCP
Yep. Ive got two 2560x1440 monitors (144hz/75hz both using DP). They wake just fine.

Yep. Ive got two 2560x1440 monitors (144hz/75hz both using DP). They wake just fine.
So, I went back to connecting both directly to the GPU with a DP cable. One of the cables must have a loose wire inside or perhaps the DP port on the monitor is faulty. For now, the displays are fine....but the issue now is that Windows only detects stereo now. I have a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup, and have an HDMI running between the GPU and receiver. I used to be able to select from multiple speaker arrangements, but now only stereo is an option. At least I have both monitors working, and stereo gives me sound while I Google what could be the problem with the audio.

EDIT: Turns out, when my Pioneer receiver has zone 2 and zone 3 enabled, the desktop only recognizes stereo, but when I disable those Atmos height speakers int he receivers settings, my desktop recognizes a Dolby Atmos configuration. Now I'm wondering if Windows even makes use of Dolby Atmos since I had to disable the Atmos speakers that takes a 5.1 surround sound system and makes it a 5.1.4 Atmos system?

Last edited:
EDIT: Turns out, when my Pioneer receiver has zone 2 and zone 3 enabled, the desktop only recognizes stereo, but when I disable those Atmos height speakers int he receivers settings, my desktop recognizes a Dolby Atmos configuration. Now I'm wondering if Windows even makes use of Dolby Atmos since I had to disable the Atmos speakers that takes a 5.1 surround sound system and makes it a 5.1.4 Atmos system?
Not sure about your specific receiver but my Onkyo does not support digital or surround on zone 2. Not sure if that has something to with that but you might try not running it on zone 2?

Back