• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Radiator Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iterator

Registered
Hi everyone. I currently have an Swiftech H220X cooler and am happy to report that it works excellently. I have read the water cooling guides here on OC, but still have a couple questions since I'm not starting from 'scratch' with the LC.

From another thread (link) Witchdoctor has me eyeballing Case-labs Mercury S8 case. This case would allow me to expand and LC my GPU very nicely, but I'm not quite sure the best way to do that; whether its expanding my current enclosed loop, or something entirely different.

I really like the look of windows on either side and radiators on top with the S8, but I'm not sure the implications of adding another radiator to the same loop as the H220X setup. Would it be easy enough to add another 120.2 radiator next to the H220X and do a configuration with H220X Radiator -> CPU -> 120.2 RAD -> GPU? Would I need an additional pump, or would I be best served by only taking the H220X's Radiator and using a different pump?

I figured with both radiators on the top, I can use the ventilated front with the solid flex bay covers to give a really clean look.

I appreciate the advise. I feel I am having to ask too many questions, but before I consider actually purchasing that case, I'd like to have a solid plan in place!

H220X is a great starter kit with the option to expand.

Now the thing is, how much more are you going to be adding to the loop as the pump is a weaker pump than say a MCP-35x. If you're only going with a CPU and 1 or 2 GPUs max in SLI with 120.5 total of heat surface, I'd say you're pushing your limits on the pump but it should still handle that. I will say I'm not sure if it will be in spec for loop flow efficiency in the 1.0-1.5 GPM range.

I did a search on the case you're talking about and notice a nice placement at the lower half where a 120.3 rad can be tucked in and have a 120.2 (H220X) on the other side so you don't have radiators above the motherboard, just for added security other than the blocks but either way its a nice case and have many options on how you want to pursue this.

Give us a list of your PC components and what you'll be water cooling so we know roughly the amount of wattage your loop will need to dissipate. Also, give us an idea if you're looking to keep things silent at full bore while having a themed build with some eye candy.

Last edited:
I have some personal experience with the h220x and will give you my 2 cents. I had no issue at all with the pump adding a 120.2 and a 140mm rad to the loop with cpu and 2 gpu's. The pump could handle this with ease. The only thing I can even think about where there could possibly be some issue and others may know a little more about this is the length of the loop. Those caselabs cases are pretty big. So the runs of your loop may be quite a bit longer than in most cases which could add a little more work for your pump. Other than that, no issue what so ever with pump handling cpu, 2 gpu's an extra 120.2 and 140mm rad or just a 120.3 rad. Hope this helps

At this point I would only be looking to cool the CPU and my single GTX 980. I will probably be adding another 980 here in the ~short term, so if the proposed setup could handle that as well it would be an added bonus.

I saw the possibility of the 120.3 radiator on the one side but missed the 120.2 on the other. I like your idea about keeping the water blocks out of sight completely, not to mention added safety from the mobo. That would free me up to do a window on the top if I wanted as well. Is the pump on the H220X radiator detachable/replaceable?

Components are:
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
  • Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
  • 4 x WD RED 2TB SAS Drives
  • Asus Z97 Pro
  • Asus CD/DVD
  • Intel i7-4790K
  • MSI GTX 980 Gaming
  • 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2133
  • Areca 1882IX PCI-Express 3.0 SATA/SAS RAID controller
  • Corsair 860AX PSU

Fans:
  • 3 x Noctua 120mm Redux 1200PWM
  • 1 x Noctua 140mm Redux 1500PWM
  • 2 x Noctua 120mm iPPC 2000RPM PWM (Used on the 220X radiator)

And I think that does it for components.

But yes, the direction I'd like to go if the majority of it is LC'd would be quiet operation. I have a lot of red going on with components, so I would probably go with that, or perhaps something neutral like clear (thinking of tubing/liquid).

From the looks of it, say if you had a radiator mounted up top, the pump will be on its side and if you had the radiator on its side, the pump would than be sitting up right as most DDC pumps are.

swiftech-h220x,J-2-417998-3.jpg

I am not sure if you can disassemble the pump but I think you might be able to but you might void your warranty in the process. If anything, I'd give Swiftech a call and find out, if you're looking to upgrade to a more powerful pump.

I think a 360mm radiator, added with your existing 240mm should be good enough for a CPU + 2 GPU loop.

Stick with distilled water and a silver kill coil or dead water in liquid form for your biocide options.

If you want color, check out on some LEDs and colored tubing from the PrimoChill Advancved LRT series. I actually use their "Bloodshed Red" tubing and it looks great as my theme build is based on the EVGA Classified theme. Its a mix of Black, Red and chrome fittings. I would have liked black fittings but didn't want to shell out $250-$300 on new colored fittings. lol

Nonetheless, plan out your loop in that case as you'll most likely be using quite a few angled fittings as you'll want the shortest and cleanest loop.

^^^ GTX is all over it. I am pretty sure that the pump is made specifically for the h220x. Here is what I did for an old build since you want some red in it. I used red taillight tape and it worked awesome. I added a couple of pics and if you need more I have it laying in the garage and can take some
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

One more quick thing. You will need to buy the adapter if you plan on using any other size tubing or if you go acrylic tubing for the fitting coming out of the pump

From the looks of it, say if you had a radiator mounted up top, the pump will be on its side and if you had the radiator on its side, the pump would than be sitting up right as most DDC pumps are.

Currently in this 900D I have it mounted on top. Mounting it on the left bottom side of the case in the 240mm spot, that would put the reservoir window and pump at the top, towards the back (just making sure I'm tracking there).

Using the 220X and an additional 360mm radiator, would that require use of an external reservoir? If not, would that be an option, or would that extend the loop too much for the 220X pump? I understand to an extend I will just have to see what the results end up being for whether or not the pump is sufficient. I'm just trying to get an idea of components / price to add the GPU to the loop and have it look good as well.

Thanks for the suggestions on liquid/additives and tubing, as well. A kill coil reservoir I think would look pretty slick!

As far as radiators I would assume that since the 220X is so good, Swiftech's 360mm offerings can't be bad, either. Are there any specific GPU water blocks that are better than others? I would prefer non-acrylic.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

ed, very nice solution there! I will have to put some thought into coloring, whether its colored or plain clear/white, I suppose I have ~4 weeks to decide on that due to the wait time on the case. Ha!

One more quick thing. You will need to buy the adapter if you plan on using any other size tubing or if you go acrylic tubing for the fitting coming out of the pump

I believe I would stick with the same 5/8" OD tubing, but would probably definitely go for different tubing to replace the solid black on the 220X. Are you saying even if I kept the same tubing size (but clear/colored) I would still need an adapter?

In regard to the case, I am wanting to go window top, left, and right, with the bottom left and bottom right ventilated. Solid front "flex" bay covers, but I am guessing I would still want to go with the ventilated front (left of the flex bays) to get some air movement on the non LC'd components. What are some thoughts on that?

[ Edit: I went with the ventilated front. Decided that front window didn't look quite as good as the ventilation, and some quiet fans will do it some good, I imagine. Gunmetal Grey FTW ]

Last edited:
If you are planning to use the same size tubing you will not need the adapter. Only if you choose to change to a different type of tubing or size of tubing.

Your case plans sound great. It is going to be a beautiful thing. I love all of the caselabs cases. They are truly fantastic!

That's what I thought, but I figured it may have been some weird fixed connector or something.

And thanks! Although at this point I think Mr. Jack Bauer gave most of the excellent advice. As my first LC setup I appreciate the hand-holding. Much better than swapping out tons of components as I'm building it!

I read a pretty detailed review on the S8 and noticed that while the 240mm and 360mm radiator's on the bottom are definitely possible, I think that excludes having one of the 4 drive bays on the bottom. I was hoping the drive bay would fit down there with the radiators (somehow). I'm not sure what my other options would be if that is the case, aside from moving one of the radiators to perhaps the front.

Last edited:
I spoke with Swiftech today and they said that the MCP30 on the H220-X is replaceable with the MCP50X (only). Of course, I would lose my warranty and the LED lights in the reservoir, but in the configuration that we have been talking about I don't think that is much of a sacrifice. Especially considering I may possibly put LED lights on the top portion as well.

I have an email out to Case Labs to see if I can have my cake and eat it to, in respect to the HDD cage and the reservoirs all being on the bottom.

In the meantime I have been pondering color choices for the cooling loop. My motherboard has some hints of gold, and the RAM is red. Considering the GPU will have a waterblock on it instead of the red plastic, that should be it for color. I was curious if GTX suggestion of distilled water with kill coil / dead water was hinting at a downside with colored liquids?

I would use Deadwater since you're using a very small reservoir built-in to the radiator. A few drops with distilled water is all you need and PrimoChill Advanced LRT with the choice of your own color.

Also, are you going with a MCP-50x?

Really surprised you're going from a 900D to a cube size case. I love the 900Ds. So much room.

In this proposed setup I was actually planning on incorporating a small-medium reservoir, mainly just for looks. I spoke with Case Labs and the configuration we were discussing isn't possible with my hard drives. And actually, I'm not sure you can mount a 360mm radiator on the right side because of where the power supply is.

Anyways, the option I chose to go with is the full window top, standard window on left and right with the solid bottoms, leaving the front left side for the 240mm radiator and the front right side will have the 360mm with their flex bay mount. I'm planning on sealing up the rest of the case and only having a single exhaust fan in the rear, utilizing the radiators in push/pull configuration to provide the air flow from the front.

The MCP-50x would be my only option if I wanted to keep the H220X radiator, so I will probably do that. It should run the full loop and reservoir just fine.

I think I got a lemon 900D in terms of those case panels. Otherwise it was a beautiful case, but it does take up a lot of room. The cube is not small, either; but I really like the fact that it will fit on my desk just fine and look great while I'm working.

Back