• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron64 Poll:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Who here believes AMD should make a new Duron a.k.a Duron64 based upon K8 Architecture?

Yes or No?

Before giving your anwser, consider the following,

Although this CPU would have 256KB of L2 Cache over the Clawhammer's 1MB, it would cost only half the price,,, would this make this processor sell?

I'd tell you, I'd love to see this thing happen which I believe is already underway if I'm not mistaken. Its also good competition for the Celery.

AND I'm talking comitment here. If AMD's Athlon64 costs $300 for the 3800+ then the 3800+ Duron should be $150. If AMD can no longer offer the Duron64 at half the price due to production costs then in my eyes, I'd see no other need other than to scrap the lower end models.

$100US for a high end Duron64 would get tons of buyers everywhere wanting 64-bit technology for cheap!

so YES!!

OC-Master

Of course they should! It would sell like hot chocolate in Denver, IMO. I know I won't be able to afford a full blown Clawhammer, but a nice little Duron64 or whatever would be sweet.

Is it a sure thing that AMD is coming out with a 64-bit with 256 kb of L2 cache?

$100 Duron would be sweet till I stop eating a month to buy a FullBlown ClawHammer. :D

We will be seeing a 'value' version of A64- it just will not be named Duron, since that title has be discontinued.

The pricing plan will be interesting to see though...I just wonder if the days of $50 CPUs are over.....

Personally, A64 (desktop) is not what I'm getting excited about on my behalf or AMD's....it's Opteron. Not that I will ever own an Opteron, but I'm really wanting to bet this is the beginning of AMD's growth in the market & that's what I'm anxious about. AMD deserves to be recognized over Intel- they've earned it.

-PC

Last edited:
As stated above, the Duron name has been discontinued. AMD has stated that the Athlon XP name will be thier new "budget" CPU. Athlon 64 will be the high end contender followed by the XP for low end.

Can we run it in SMP? That would just kill Intel in the budget server market.

Intel would have to make a darn good SMP celly thing, maybe even enabling the 64bit instruction in the Prescott ot Teja cores, to even stand a chance of competing.

Budget SMP will get you in the enterprise market AMD, LISTEN!!

quegyboe said:
As stated above, the Duron name has been discontinued. AMD has stated that the Athlon XP name will be thier new "budget" CPU. Athlon 64 will be the high end contender followed by the XP for low end.

agreed, you can get an XP1600+ at the show for like what?!?!?! $50 and those suckers overclock VERY well (usually)
Rob

quegyboe said:

How can they do that with 64-bit applications/games coming out? to use a 64-bit application don't you need a 64-bit processor?

PrideGL said:

How can they do that with 64-bit applications/games coming out? to use a 64-bit application don't you need a 64-bit processor?
I'm not quite sure how it works but I read the info about the "low end XP" in a press release from AMD.

quegyboe said:

I'm not quite sure how it works but I read the info about the "low end XP" in a press release from AMD.

AMD is making me mad:mad:, I'm about to go celeron. The celerons are going 64-bit right?

64 bit Celeron?? Why would you want to buy a Celeron just because there is no Duron anymore, when you can just buy an Athlon XP that'll outperform a Celeron at a lower price anyway?

I don't know about you, but a low price for high performance makes me pretty happy.

I thought that the initial desktop Athlon XPs were going to have only 256kb cache, while only the Opterons would have 1mb?

Either way, I think it's better for AMD to stick with one line only. The Duron was never a good idea because their lower speed Athlons were already cheap enough and outperformed anything from Intel at a similar price. All the Duron did was cannibalize some of their own sales, reduced their margins, and increased their production costs.

Captain Hilts said:
64 bit Celeron?? Why would you want to buy a Celeron just because there is no Duron anymore, when you can just buy an Athlon XP that'll outperform a Celeron at a lower price anyway?

I don't know about you, but a low price for high performance makes me pretty happy.

well XP's aren't 64-bit

PrideGL said:

AMD is making me mad:mad:, I'm about to go celeron. The celerons are going 64-bit right?
No where did you read this, intel itself doesn't plan to run 64bit for a while thinking the 32bit platform itself has yet to reach its potential.

Captain Hilts said:

Well that's my point, neither are Celerons, nor will they be for many, many years.

Thats all you had to say from the beggining!, I really didn't know if celerons were going 64-bit or not. I guess I should be a bit more specific in my posts.

To run a dedicated 64bit application you need a 64bit chip.

However to run 32bit software you need a 32bit chip or a 64bit chip that can handle the 32bit code (the Hammer) Intels big boy chip cant do 32bit code (or not well at all), I always forget its name.

There is then crossbred software that have the code in both types 32 and 64 so that duing the install it will detect what it is and use the correct code base on it. (This I assume will be the common one when it gets going)

Back