• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DV6 I7- Make Faster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webss

New forum member here and hoping to learn.
Unsure if I have the correct category to post this in.

I have a HP DV6 Pavilion Laptop. Im trying to get the most performance out of it. It seems a bit slow to me when compared to my desktop.
The dv6 is model 6150ej
2 GHz Intel Core i7-2630QM, 8 GB DDR3, 750 GB SATA (5400 rpm), Win 7. All specs here
Desktop(don’t recall full info as not in front of it, but basically this)AMD tricore 3.2 or 3.5 ghz, wd 7400 hd, 8 gig mushkin and biostar board.
The laptop seems decent but seems like it can be much faster then it currently is. It doesn’t seem that much faster than my other hp dv6 with that is a core duo t6600 2.20ghz with 4 gig memory.
Boot time seems a bit slow, all functions seem they can be quicker. I use the computer mainly for graphics, not a gamer really.
I did the normal stuff, performance setting(in windows), removed items I know on startup and a few other things I have read.
Also, the load time for webpages even seem slower compared to the other two systems.

What can I do to make it faster overall? I considered a ssd drive but not in the budget at the moment. It doesn’t seem to have the snap I thought it would when I bought it.
Any tricks or tweks I can do?

Only thing i have run or did was: remove programs i dont need, run ccleaner, run registry tool and removed a bunch of items from startup thats all.
Can you suggest something to run or a starting point?

thanks

A solid state is your only option really. You could defrag that drive but ultimately, its still a spinpoint drive and a 5400 rpm one at that. The rest of your hardware is fairly new and replacing it (RAM / CPU) would net next to nothing in performance gains.

Save up for a decent 256gb drive, and load up a fresh copy of your OS / applications onto it.

You will see the difference!

256GB Plextor SATA III - 190 bucks! look for something like this...

Last edited:
A solid state is your only option really.

That is on the wish list:D

Just didnt know if there was any adjustments or what not I could do.

But the above is seeming like the only option so far to see a noticeable difference. Hopefully soon I can grab one.

Thanks much

I bought this laptop (G73) and the first thing I did when I could afford it was get a 256GB SSD. Even though it had 8GB of RAM, and fairly decent i7 quad core, it still booted slowish and took forever it seemed to load anything. Once the SSD was installed it was an entirely new machine it seemed!

Good luck! :)

I normally just use advanced system care.
http://www.iobit.com/
I have an older 40GB HDD as my OS drive, After running this for awhile daily when i shut off my computer, it seems to have improved, before OS took about 5-6 ,minutes to boot, but now it's from 3-4, not much different but will do.

is your cpu running at fullspeed? speedstep can really put a drain on performance to save battery. I use throttlestop 4.00. It lets me adjust freq how I want and I can save profiles. It isn't an overclocking tool persay but it will let you get every ounce of power out of your i7 and I don't like intel/Microsoft choosing when and where I need power.

Back