• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Rip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I want to backup my DVD collection as well as have it stored on my laptop for those off times when i'm mobile and want to watch a movie.

I don't believe in piracy, I use emusic pandora spotify and netflix. I'm not going to share these files I just want my own copies of my own media for my own use.

The programs on download.com don't work on protected content so I need to find something that will work.

Anyone have a good program?

Anydvd for protection removal and you can try dvdshrink. I think is what it was called, I haven't ripped a DVD for a while.

Thanks i'm giving it a try, not sure if I can afford paying for it right now. If I'm gonna pay for something I saw that dvdshrink gold removes protection.

Just went back to school so i'm on a fixed income

Once you understand Handbrake it makes awesome rips to either mkv (my choice) or mp4. You almost need a second pc to use it as it will take hours for a single title. I haven't used it in a while and forgot how to exactly.

MakeMKV would be my suggestion. It does all optical medias even protected ones. However, after 30 days you do need to pay for blueray support, but if you only use it for DVDs its free forever.

Combine that with Handbrake and your golden!

Thanks. I forgot about makemkv and it runs in debian too. I'm going to install it right now.
Makemkv does not compress at all (in linux). Which makes it useless as a ripper. I may as well copy the disc and play it like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I've been using anyDVD and handbrake and have been having alot of problems with it, countless times DVD's won't register and other times when they do the whole thing won't rip. And it's not the dvd's fault because I use brand new disks some times and it stops at different points.

I'll try some other programs and see if that helps.

Thanks

I use FreeMake Video Convertor. I find it works great to convert to MP4, and then stick on a laptop or USB. It is free(obviously) and very easy to use.

Back