• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD's looking poor...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starbo

Registered
I have the WinFast 7800GTX (OC'd using coolbits to 490/1.32). I get full 60 fps in HL2 with all the settings as high and it play like a dream.

"Hmmm.... I wonder how it plays DVD's...?" I thought. Popped Lord Of The Rings in and clicked play and I was very disappointed! The picture is very poor - looks like a low quality movie file... very "square" and not very sharp at all!

I'm using NDVD 2.55 to play the DVD and I have a 17" flatscreen monitor... I don't understand what's going on>!

Any ideas are very much welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Anybody... nooooo? I need a little help here please guys...

hmmm intresting, i have no expierence with that program... try Windvd... thats what i use on my HTPC and even on a FX5200 picture quality is twice that of a PS2

also do you have the latest drivers and stuff installed?

nd4spdbh2 said:
hmmm intresting, i have no expierence with that program... try Windvd... thats what i use on my HTPC and even on a FX5200 picture quality is twice that of a PS2

also do you have the latest drivers and stuff installed?

It sounds like he has the latest drivers installed if he can play hl2 at 60fps...that is very odd...

you should eliminate your monitor and programs as the probelm. Hook an old monitor up and see if the problem continues, the get a differnet free program that plays DVD's and see what it looks like. If it still looks like crap i would put the gfx card back to stock and see if you still have an issue...if that STILL dosent fix the problem see if u can RMA it

I often use DVD Shrink.

It's free, you pop in the DVD, open up the DVD, reads it/scans it (takes about 1 minute or less on a good system) and then you can play it w/o any DVD codecs.

I have other DVD players (cyberlink power dvd for example) but they are all even worse!

I was under the impression that the 7800 family require a certain codec that is only compatible with nDVD? And as the card and software are both nVidia I would have thought I would have no problem, especially after paying a small fortune for a GPU in the first place?!

I updated my drivers a little while ago so I'll give that another go.

Thanks people, I'll keep ya's posted :)

EDIT: Only just realised that my old account is still active on my computer at work. I am the one who started this topic by the way people.... I'll get this account deleted.

O.K, I updated to the latest 84.28 drivers from the nVidia website and I'm still getting the same problem... I have tried DVD shrink, Cyberlink Power DVD and nDVD - all look as bad as eachother! When I installed the drivers my GPU revrted back to stock speeds, so I tried a DVD at stock speeds and at slightly OC'd speeds. I tried using the nVidia control Panel to add a profile for nDVD and turned all the settings up to max. I have even tried different DVD's!... No luck :(

If the player is not set at full screen (so the visible window is a few inches square) then the video quality looks crisp and clean. It's when I use the full screen feature that the video becomes distorted.

What about nVidia's Pure Video software - Could this be my problem? I have searched the net for a possible fix or an updated version of this software but had no luck. I think the latest release of Pure Video was included in my latest GPU driver pdate anyways.

This is really bugging me now - I pay well over £1500 for my rig and my crappy £20 DVD player hooked up to my T.V gives a better image quality! please help guys!

Last edited:
millard said:
If the player is not set at full screen (so the visible window is a few inches square) then the video quality looks crisp and clean. It's when I use the full screen feature that the video becomes distorted.

What about nVidia's Pure Video software - Could this be my problem? I have searched the net for a possible fix or an updated version of this software but had no luck. I think the latest release of Pure Video was included in my latest GPU driver pdate anyways.

This is really bugging me now - I pay well over £1500 for my rig and my crappy £20 DVD player hooked up to my T.V gives a better image quality! please help guys!
Have you watched DVDs on this monitor before? Honestly, the first paragraph you wrote is giving me the impression that you're expecting to see a high resolution video, e.g. your desktop resolution, when in fact DVD movies only have a resolution around 640x480 if I'm not mistaken. When you play the video full screen and you're sitting close to the monitor, it will appear very "square" as you describe, because there might be several pixels on the monitor drawing the same video pixel. On a television, even a high-definition unit, the resolution is much less than that of a computer monitor, and you typically sit further away so the image appears more crisp.

I have really noticed this effect when playing the same DVD on both my computer and my television. At first I thought the DVD I burned was of really crappy quality because of how bad it looked on my Dell 2005FPW, but when I played it on any of the televisions in my house it looked perfectly normal. I also have a 7800GT in my computer, so maybe it IS an image quality issue with this card, but I just chalked it up to the reaons I mentioned above.

Does anyone else have any issues with the 7800GT and DVD playback?

Are you using a LCD monitor or a CRT? If you are using an LCD that might be the problem becuase it will play the videos at non native resolution and that nevers looks as good as it should. To fix this you are probably going to end having to watch in windowed format.

Back