• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvi, displayport and KVM switches.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I'm getting new monitors :comp: Yay! (Well, only two...) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260233)

The monitors won't plug in directly to my setup (boo!) :(

My current setup is two monitors with DVI connections (among others, but DVI in use.) These are connected to a dual monitor DVI KVM switch. One side of the switch is connected to my personal PC with an Asus GTX 460 video card with two DVI connections. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391) The other side of the KVM connects to a Dell PC with an extra video card that has one DVI and one HDMI connection (AMD Radeon R7 200 series). The motherboard has two Displayport connections. This uses a Displayport -> DVI adapter to connect the Displayport connection to the KVM switch
Displayport
I'm wondering what is the best way to get these connected. For about #$10 I can get DVI -> Displayport adapters.Go 100%

Alternative 1: Dual monitor Displayport KVM and use DVI -> Displayport adapters to connect the DVI outputs. Perhaps I could use the two motherboard Displayport adapters on the Dell.

Alternative 2: Go full Displayport. In theory I should be able to daisy chain the monitors meaning I would not need a dual monitor KVM switch as long as the switch meets the bandwidth requirements for two monitors (Displayport 1.2 I think.) My GTX 460 has no Displayport outputs so I would have to upgrade the video card. This seems like the spendy option, but if I wanted to, I could also upgrade to a KVM that would support more than two PCs and be able to hook in my laptop as well.

Alternative 3: Displayport with dual monitor Displayport KVM switch.

Any suggestions from the denizens here on the best solution? I'm inclined to go with the adapters for the monitors but I am concerned that multiple conversions may not play well with the KVM. I already have problems on one monitor with noise and occasional blanking. Luckily these do not seem to happen often enough to cause problems.

Thanks!

I'm inclined to go with the adapters for the monitors but I am concerned that multiple conversions may not play well with the KVM. I already have problems on one monitor with noise and occasional blanking. Luckily these do not seem to happen often enough to cause problems.

I would be inclined to use the adapters as well - but mostly because of cost. My .02 for that part

as for noise in the lines and adding adapters, this is a fair thing to worry about, but can be minimized by using the shortest runs of cables that you can get away with. I have also had good luck in switching to shielded cables with gold plating for my monitors . I wont try to give a brand reccommendation because I think it is kind of a crap shoot/ they all toute similar specs. Just be sure to get shielded cable and gold connections and you should be better off.

Monitors and adapters came in today - Yay! :D

Adapters don't work. Boo. :(

The adapter description states:
This DP to DVI adapter allows to connect your computer with Displayport to a monitor or projector with DVI input.
I need to go from DVI to Displayport. The adapter is not bidirectional. I found this on a Dell support forum:
The cables you bought are designed to go from video card DP to monitor HDMI or DVI. You cannot go backwards.
cheapest solution is this =
Computer video card DVI out --> DVI to HDMI cable --> U2415 HDMI in
Luckily I had a DVI <-> HDMI cable handy so I plugged it in between the KVM switch and the monitor and voilà (as the French would say), it works! :clap: Now I just need to get another cable to get the other monitor on line. ;)
The kicker is that the cable at $7 is cheaper than the adapte for $10!

So remember kids, you can go from DP to DVI but cannot go from DVI to DP. :thup:

Link to the adapter that didn't work?
I expect you got a passive adapter instead of an active one.

Link to the adapter that didn't work?
I expect you got a passive adapter instead of an active one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012QORV2M
Yes, passive. Here's an active one: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters®-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00EDT01TO/
And the description says:
Portable active adapter connects a DisplayPort (DP, DP++, DisplayPort++) equipped laptop or desktop to a monitor or projector with DVI input;
The description seems pretty clear about the application.

Back