• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DX10? DX9?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbui3057

Registered
If I am using xp pro, why would I look into getting a mid to low end dx10 card when I can get a mid to higher end dx9 card for games? I don't plan on going to vista anytime soon and the Alky project is in alpha testing I think. So why get a x2xxx or 8xxx series card if I don't plan on switching anytime soon? Are there any benefits? I was looking into getting an x1950xt (which NewEgg pulled off the website for some reason) which beats the 8600gts for about the same price.

I plan on playing UT3 when it comes out. I would think the x1950xt (if I can find one cheaply) or an 8800gts (if the price drops enough when the 9800 series comes out) would be able to power this game and most of the others while still using xp. Thoughts?

If I am using xp pro, why would I look into getting a mid to low end dx10 card when I can get a mid to higher end dx9 card for games? I don't plan on going to vista anytime soon and the Alky project is in alpha testing I think. So why get a x2xxx or 8xxx series card if I don't plan on switching anytime soon? Are there any benefits? I was looking into getting an x1950xt (which NewEgg pulled off the website for some reason) which beats the 8600gts for about the same price.

I plan on playing UT3 when it comes out. I would think the x1950xt (if I can find one cheaply) or an 8800gts (if the price drops enough when the 9800 series comes out) would be able to power this game and most of the others while still using xp. Thoughts?
It's just putting off obsolesence for a longer time. The closer you buy to the cutting edge (and the more you pay) the longer before the card becomes obsolete. And no one really knows how long that will be for any video card. In essence there is no "right" answer to your question. Depends on how often you upgrade, whether you upgrade to cutting edge, a notch below, what is cheep today, etc.. And who knows what's going to happen in the gamming market anyway.

x1950xt is a DX9 card , no? 8800GTS is a DX10 card. If you want this card make sure it is the 640MB not the 320MB which will cost you a bit more than a x1950xt 256MB. You can use the 8800 on XP no problem. Some people have been complaining about driver support but that's all going away pretty quick I think.

Games are being released with 512MB GPU recommended but seem to run ok on 256MB (i.e. Bioshock). If you want to play UT3 smooth as butter and anything else coming out later this year, I would probably get the 8800GTS 640MB. Can't say yet for sure how well it will run on a DX9 256MB card?

Thanks for the tips. I was looking at the x1950 pro 512 but was reading that the x1950xt 256 was better even at higher resolutions. I need something for my 226bw but don't want to spend more than $200. I will probably end up waiting but it sure would be nice to not have to use onboard. 8800 is just too expensive right now.

Yah, I am not sure what is up with newegg and the 1950s. I have a pair in my wish list but they seem to go out of stock every day or two. Then they go back in stock only to have them pulled from my wish list despite showing up as in stock on a new search. Then they reappear in my wish list. It really is annoying what is going on with them.

However, if that is what you really want, there is another way that you can get them. You need to know about two web sites that we use fairly often.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

This is a site that spiders a few thousand vendors frequently and you can search for what you want from them. Sometimes you can even shave a few dollars off the newegg price for something. However, this is where you really need to know about the other site.

http://www.resellerratings.com/

This is a site with a huge database of online vendors that shows rankings of each company by the customer satisfaction. Obviously, the higher the ranking the better but you also need to look at how many people have voted on a specific vendor. If there are only three reviews and they are all 10's all the way around, that does not tell you very much about that company. On the other hand, lots of votes for a vendor with a lower score can tell you quite a bit about that company.

For example, newegg has over 15,000 reviews and is constantly in the top ten of online vendors. So if you did not already know that they are a good place to buy from, now you would. Use both sites together and you can find stuff that is a good deal from reputable vendors.

Looking the 1950 xt up that way, I see that there is a place called ewiz.com that has the Sapphire x1950 XT 256 for $185 plus shipping. And on resellerratings, they have a great rating with over 1800 reviews. Since newegg does not have the same card at the exact time that I am composing this (but apparently they may get it back in stock at any moment), I can't compare the prices but I know that they are going to be fairly close.

Of course it alos bears noting that if you part out a new computer across a few vendors, you are likely going to take a largish hit on shipping costs. However, if you are just looking for the cards right now, that may be a good way to go.

Back