• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6400 & Dell Motherboard Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raaid

Registered
Sorry to ask about such ancient technology, but I am having some issues I was hoping you guys could help me thru. I know Dell locks the BIOS, so I am attempting to do an overclock using either Setfsb or Clockgen. When I use Setfsb I slowly up the fsb speed from 266 by 10 each time. It works fine eithout crashing until I get to 316mhz, then it BSOD and memory dumps. Then it starts back up at the original 266mhz. RealTemp shows my temp never going over 51-52. I am also using CPU-Z to monitor it. It shows my voltage at my ram being 1.8. From what I have read, overclocking thr e6400 is fairly easy. Any idea whats going wrong?

Specs
Dell XPS 410
Intel Duo Core 2 (e6400) [email protected]
4x2 gig DDR2 800mhz (PC2-6400)
0WG855 Motherboard
PLL is IDT CV174

A FSB overclocked from 266 to 316 might have a problem with the PCIe bus being overclocked out of spec. Might have the RAM overclocked too far also. Can you set your RAM from DDR800 to DDR667?

If the motherboard can natively support a 333FSB processor you might want to try a pin-mod instead of SetFSB.

The PCI shows its set at 100 on SetFSB. I havent tried that. Would it be worth starting there?

It works fine at 306, but when I turn to 316 it goes blue.

How would I go about turning the Ram 667?

If the BIOS can't lock the PCIe to 100MHz, SetFSB probably can't either. If that's the problem then you have reached the board's limit.

You should be able to manually set the RAM frequency, even in a Dell. It should be an option in BIOS.

Can you post CPUz screenshots of the Memory and SPD tabs for us with the FSB at 306MHz?

I sure can! I will be home and can have it done in about 20 min

spd4.png spd5.png

Here it is at 306 incase I cant screen shot before BSOD at 316

- - - Updated - - -

Crashes instantly at 316

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF9600025CC50
BCP3: FFFFF88008FEC8F0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\072715-14929-01.dmp
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-70091-0.sysdata.xml

^ There is the details from the bluescreen, if that helps.

You haven't shown the current memory speed which might be a problem and you won't be able to up the CPU voltage which is a huge problem You probably going to have to be content around the 300 mark and leave it at that. I would do some stress testing to make sure it doesn't overheat and it's stable enough. That gives you about a %20 OC which isn't bad on stock volts.

You haven't shown the current memory speed which might be a problem and you won't be able to up the CPU voltage which is a huge problem You probably going to have to be content around the 300 mark and leave it at that. I would do some stress testing to make sure it doesn't overheat and it's stable enough. That gives you about a %20 OC which isn't bad on stock volts.

The memory tab only shows what I have posted, regardless of what clock I am using. I am looking for gaming performance, so do you think I will see much FPS difference by going from 2.1 to 2.5 ghz?

Maybe a bit since the CPU is probably your limiter in that PC. Honestly if you're going to game you should look for something better. Just my 2¢

Yea, this 0WG855 sucks lol. Just trying to get out of it as much as I can for now since a new CPU isnt a possibility for me at this time. My goal is to only try and stretch an additional 10 fps out of it if possible until I can upgrade and build my own system. H1Z1 can get down into the 15 fps range and I am trying to keep it in the 25-30 range. I mostly get about 23 but sometimes it drops, which is why I was hoping a slight overclock would net me a few extra.

- - - Updated - - -

The only games I play are H1Z1 and LoL. League runs just perfectly, but H1Z1 gets choppy from time to time.

Yeah, some OEM PCs will show Memory details in CPUz and others won't. I guess yours is the latter. Your RAM is being overclocked when you increase the FSB.
266.6 (FSB) x 1.5 (Memory Divider) = 399.9 (RAM Frequency) and
306 x 1.5 = 459 (or DDR-918 instead of DDR-800).

If you can lower your RAM in BIOS from DDR-800 to DDR-667 you might be able to get a little more out of the CPU.
266.6 x 1.25 = 333 or DDR-667, and
306 x 1.25 = 382.5 or DDR-765.
I hope I didn't confuse you too much with all the numbers. lol :)

Did you have a chance to look for manual DRAM settings in BIOS? If you have the options you might get a higher overclock, otherwise you have reached the limit at the 306MHz FSB.

I dont think that I can change it in the BIOS, so I guess I am kinda screwed. I dont know how stable it is at 306, but I guess I will run a stability check and find out.

Back