• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pin Mod Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turbo1002

I am sprucing up an old Dell Inspiron B130. This one came with a Dothan Celeron-M 1.4ghz 1024 cache, 400MHZ, m360 processor 479 socket chipset-I915GMS/I910GML. I did the pin mod and now it is running at 1862MHZ, 533MHZ FSB. Then I used clockgen to speed it up some more to 2257MHZ, FSB 644MHZ.
I want to install a better processor Pentium with 2048 cache. The confusion I have is should I purchase a processor with a 400mHz FSB or 533MHZ? I am confused what the pin mod did? Did it change the speed of the motherboard or the Processor? Can I use a 533mhz chip with the pin mod? Also could someone explain why the mainboard shows two chipsets I915GMS/I910GML. I am guessing the 910GML - 400mhz and I915GMS- 533MHZ.
Am I restricted to a 400MHZ processor and why?
Thank you for the help. I am learning and I was told this is the place to go.

i might be a bit late and surprised others havent chimed in. you did both increase the speed on the motherboard and the cpu speed. since the fsb dicates the cpu speed based on the cpu multiplier. if you still want to pin mod then yes you would be stuck with using a 400mhz fsb Pentuim M cpu (dothan based) other wise you can run a 533mhz Pentuim M in that dell. the pin mod changed the fsb from the stock 400mhz for the cpu to 533mhz, which increases cpu speed. it would be the same if you just used clock gen or set fsb programs to increase the fsb to oc the cpu.

if you talking about cpu z showing two chipsets, thats hard to say. my best guess is that intels chipset is sending the same ID signal out and that is what cpu z grabs. since both send the same one both would be listed.

Back