• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 bad batch maybe? cant go over 3.8 without BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oneofusjustin

ig
e8400 boxed in FEB
evga 780i p04 bios
nirvana 120 cooler
antek 500 watt power supply
8800gt
2x 1gig hyper x pc8500 1066 ram

ok i CANNOT get this thing over 3.8 AT ALL it will boot up and then right as the windows xp 64 logo loading page pops up BOOM blue screen of death flashes for a second then system reboots

ive raised my vcore up to like 1.45 and still happens... ive tried going a little higher to make sure i wasnt in a fsb hole...all my settings are from the 780i over clocking guide ive tried unlinking and un syncing but still bsod.. any idea?

here is the post im basing my settings off off
The un-official 780i Overclocking Guide...short and sweet.

I have found the following voltages to be rock solid from 1066-1800QDR on the 680i & 780i. Of course your RAM and CPU voltages will vary. Yes I still Link/Sync FSB & RAM. Disable all Spread Spectrums & CE1/Speedstep/Thermal stuff. Fans on 100% for now, you can turn them down later.

CPU ~1.4v (actual via CPUid) a good starting point for Kentsfield >3.2Ghz…faster=more***
RAM Run at manufacturers specified voltage only.
FSB 1.3v....(1.4v ~1600QDR+)
SPP/NB 1.4v...(1.45v ~1700QDR+)
MCP/SB 1.525v
HT 1.25v (aka MCP<>SPP)
AUX 1.5v(auto) (not applicable on 680i)
GTRLEDs (auto) (not applicable on 680i)

i dont know much about nvidia mobos on intel platforms. on a side note i would really ditch XP64 bit, it has tons of compatibility issues

I have my e8400 up to 4.05 Ghz, but I clocked it back down to 3.6 until I can run some stability tests. At 4.05 Ghz it boots and loads windows (and played almost 60 minutes of company of heroes fine.

I am running vista 64 tho...

This is from the guys at Legion Hardware:

The fact that we were able to reach 4.4GHz without having to use a water-cooling system is impressive. However, while 4.4GHz is a huge achievement for this E8400 processor, we are just as impressed with the 3.6GHz overclock. At this frequency the E8400 almost ran no hotter than it did at 3.0GHz, as we were not required to adjust the voltage in any way. Furthermore, at 3.6GHz it is possible to get away with using cheap DDR2-800 memory. For gamers the best performance gains can also be seen when going from 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz, as pushing the processor further only accounted for very minimal performance gains!

All in all I might just keep it at 3.6Ghz, I dislike playing with voltage and such and with summer coming I don't want to make my room an oven.

I have my e8400 up to 4.05 Ghz, but I clocked it back down to 3.6 until I can run some stability tests. At 4.05 Ghz it boots and loads windows (and played almost 60 minutes of company of heroes fine.

I am running vista 64 tho...

This is from the guys at Legion Hardware:

All in all I might just keep it at 3.6Ghz, I dislike playing with voltage and such and with summer coming I don't want to make my room an oven.

LOL funny you said the oven thing because sometimes i walk into my room (remember it isnt that hot out yet) and its warm as hell inside if i leave computer on for a few hours...then im like wow this thing really get hot huh....not cool....and my room is under the roof and i could only imagine how hot it will get in there.....i guess there will be a hell on earth after all =)

GTLREF on my E8400 didn't really do much until about 525FSB.

I'd suggest turning up the FSB (aka CPU vTT) voltage a bit more, and also turning up the MCH voltage a bit more. If you do want to mess with GTLREF, do it in small increments...

Have you run memtest to check the RAM at these settings? Bad sticks do happen even at stock speeds and voltage.

Also, how stable is the system at 3.7 or 3.75? If stress testing works well immediately below 3.8 then an immediate BSOD would be really surprising far a Wolfdale. (That does seem to be common for the Q9xxx FSB wall issue, but that's not your typical low voltage stability problem.) To me, that points to something other than the processor. OTOH, if stability steadily degrades up to that and 3.8 is where you finally can't boot, then it is possible than you just got a lousy chip.

Back